Join now - be part of our community!

Command C:31:23 in the DCR-TRV12E camcorder

SOLVED
profile.country.el_GR.title
pventistas
Visitor

Command C:31:23 in the DCR-TRV12E camcorder

After  command C:31:23 my DCR-TRV12E stopped working. I followed troubleshooting instructions by taking out the battery and the cassette and putting them back but it worked just for a few minutes. The command reappeared and although I tried another cassette the problem remained. Does anybody know what the problem of my videocamera might be?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.en_GB.title
blaireau_photo
Visitor

Hello pventistas - Welcome to the Sony Forums :slight_smile:

This error message can indicate that some kind of internal repair is necessary for the camera. However, before making a call to Sony Customer Services, it is possible that there is some kind of foreign object or blockage that is blocking the tape mechanism.

In the past, I have known a few users who have turned the whole device upside down and then given the base of the camera a light/firm 'tap' and this has removed the object that was causing the blockage. You could also try using a cotton bud or DV head cleaning tape.

If none of this works, let me know and I can reply with the details for getting in touch with Sony to enquire about a repair.

Thanks,

Simon

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
blaireau_photo
Visitor

Hello pventistas - Welcome to the Sony Forums :slight_smile:

This error message can indicate that some kind of internal repair is necessary for the camera. However, before making a call to Sony Customer Services, it is possible that there is some kind of foreign object or blockage that is blocking the tape mechanism.

In the past, I have known a few users who have turned the whole device upside down and then given the base of the camera a light/firm 'tap' and this has removed the object that was causing the blockage. You could also try using a cotton bud or DV head cleaning tape.

If none of this works, let me know and I can reply with the details for getting in touch with Sony to enquire about a repair.

Thanks,

Simon

profile.country.el_GR.title
pventistas
Visitor

Thank you Simon for your advice

I am sorry for the delayed reply. I tried to turn the camera upside down tapping it but I didn't notice anything extra in the cassette room. I also used a cotton bud sweeping mettal bolts and a round revolving object at the back of the cassette room which seemed to me the head of the tape but nothing changed. Is there anything else that I should clean with the cotton bud or should I try a DV cleaning tape?

Thanks in advance

Panos

Mick2011
New

Hi Panos :slight_smile:

C:31-type errors usually relate to mis-alignment problems with the tape transport mechanism. I've heard of problems with the rubber pressure roller becoming unseated, but it could be anything in the tape path. If you're unfamiliar with the interior of the tape drawer it could be very hard to spot and rectify the problem.

It would do no harm to try a cleaning tape but if you're going to have to buy one I'd take the camera to a local electronics repair shop first. They may be able to identify the problem and may not charge much for a repair, assuming it's a simple re-alignment job.

Good luck!

Mick

meterman_56
Visitor

Had the same problem myself with a DCR-TVR245E HANDYCAM. Solution... sounds really daft but it worked for me.. If the tape compartment has popped up but hasnt released the tape dissengage the battery and wait a minute or two before inserting it..the tape compartment will drop into the cam body..close the housing..wait a minute then open the compartment door the tape housing will pop up and should open so you can remove the tape..if it hasnt opened.. fully open the door again and it should pop open. after removing the tape close tape compartment so it goes back into cam body ..shut compartment door... now heres the good bit...think of the frustration this has been causing you...hold the cam steady & give it a good slap on the side two or three times HARD... Open the tape door..insert the tape switch on...FIXED...Away you go... it worked for me... hope it does for you.

cheers. meterman_56.

profile.country.nl_BE.title
opagrijzepanter
New

Hello. I've got the same problem. I've put my handicam upside down in the open position and a rubber pressure roller fell out of it.

Can Iput this prssure roller back again, myself? Or is it indicated to let it fix in a Sony repair center? But then again, is it worth the price? What will this gonna cost? And where in Belgium should I find a repair center?

My handycam is still working fine after all those years (I think it's a diesel engine....) and I have no intention to replace it.

I hope you can give me some advice.

Opagrijzepanter from Belgium.

profile.country.nl_BE.title
opagrijzepanter
New

Hello Simon. I've got the C 31:23 error on my handycam DCR HC14E. I've put the handycam upside down in open position without cassette, and a pressure roller (metal with rubber around) fell out. I've contacted the Sony repair center in Belgium: they don't replace the roller. Instead, they replace the entire  filmdrive mechanism. This will cost me about 120 euro without taxes. My handycam is a superb thing and I don't want to buy a new one. Can I replace this roller by myself, without troubles?

Thanks for your advice, from an old retired granddad who loves making films of his grandchildren. Opagrijzepanter from Belgium

blaireau_photo
Visitor

Hello Opagrijzepanter - Welcome to the Sony Forums :slight_smile:

If you have a look in the thread that you have started, I have put some information in there.

Thanks,

Simon

profile.country.GB.title
kftrehy
New

When I run a cassette on the DCR-TRV12E grey inch lines appear on the screen and the conversation is muffled also Any advice or tips?

Kevin

buckbirth
New

I don't know how or why, but it worked!

Thanks