Join now - be part of our community!

Confused with HDR-CX700 models

profile.country.en_GB.title
Terrawatt
Visitor

Confused with HDR-CX700 models

Hi all,

I'm looking to buy the new CX-700 camcorder but I'm getting a little bogged down with the different models.

Can someone please explain the difference between ...

CX700

CX700E

CX700V

CX700VE

CX700VEB**.**

The online retail prices vary considerably between these so I'm guessing that there must be some serious functionality differences.

I believe that the latest UK model number on the Sony UK site is HDR-CX700VEBDI.YG ... Which simply adds to my confusion :smileygrin:

Thanks in advance.

Rgds

TW 

3 REPLIES 3
Watashiwateshdes
Contributor

Hey

Maybe the information below might be of some use.

I know all UK/European models end with an "E". Even if it doesn't show it listed, it will be on the box upon purchase as long as it is from a recognised dealer. If not, it could be an inport or made for another country. The Handycam models always show what recording formal (PAL/NTSC) is used on the underside sticker.

The "V" stands for GPS so combine that with VE would indicate a European GPS based version.

The "B" would indicate its colour so I assume that you saw all of these in black when you were looking around.

The "DI" I can only assume it stands for "Digital Imaging" since it falls under that range and only shows via Google now as having that suffix.

The ".YG" is possibly an internal code so I wouldnt worry about it too much.

I hope that puts some clarity into your post. Best thing to do is before buying it, if you are planning at doing so online, possibly ask the supplier to ensure that it is a European version.

jayg999
Visitor

Hi.

Like you, I have also done ALOT of research into the HDR-CX700** camcorder and can confirm the following (items I have found myself and some as responses from others resulting from queries raised);

"E" represents PAL format i.e. UK/Europe

"V" represents NTSC format i.e. USA, etc (this differs to the response provided by another member)

I have been informed that the main differences between "E" and "V" are as follows (I'm there will be more);

• Video Format: "E" is 50fps and "V" is 60fps
  • Lux: "E" is 11 (1/50 shutter speed) & 3 (1/25 shutter speed) and "V" is 11 (1/30 shutter speed) & 0 (1/60 shutter speed)

I have seen several websites with a manufaturers code "HDR-CX700VEBDI" either with the extension ".Y" or ".YG". One thing for sure is that those camcorders with the code ".Y" are cheaper than those with ".YG". This may be because the former may be imports (i.e. from outside the EU), hence cheaper "Grey Goods". I have asked Sony for the manufacturers code for UK/Europe models and think this may be the key to do future searches to avoid "Grey Goods" - I am waiting for a resopnse :slight_frown:

I hope this helps (a bit!!) :slight_smile:

profile.country.GB.title
hardylane
New

jayg999 said - ""V" represents NTSC format i.e. USA, etc (this differs to the response provided by another member)"

No, it categorically does not. It indicates GPS function. The manual explains that clearly.

PAL camcorders have the "E" suffix... "VE" with GPS.
USA camcorders have no suffix... "V" with GPS

It's in the manual.