Join now - be part of our community!

Converting old Sony 8mm cassettes to digital

profile.country.en_GB.title
Railtickethome
Visitor

Converting old Sony 8mm cassettes to digital

I have a 1990s Sony video camcorder and a number of family 8mm tapes I want to convert to digital.  I have read conflicting reports on the net including buying a convertor to buying a new inexpensive (Sony) Hi8 or digital camcorder that will play 8mm tapes. Any solid advice would be appreciated please.

Jim

Message was edited by: Railtickethome

16 REPLIES 16
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Jim and welcome.

Which model camcorder do you have and what outputs are available?

What Operating System is your PC running and does it have a firewire input?

There are several ways of doing this but the best way will depend on the above information.

:thinking:

Railtickethome
Visitor

Many thanks very much for prompt response and will provide technical info from home later.

Railtickethome
Visitor

To answer the questions. I have a working Sony Video Camera Recorder CCD-FX500E PAL 8 Machine purchased 1992\93\94. It still plays the Video 8 PAL 8 tapes through the television (from and to yellow,white and red connectors on both) although all the tapes come through as black and white and some are 'crackly' - this may be due to tape deterioration which is why I want to move them over to digital. My home PC is fairly new with an AMD Athlon II x4 640 Q processor running Windows 7 - 4 USB ports and a Fast Wireless LAN2 IEEE 802.11 and multi format DVD\CD burner.

Thanks in anticipation and for your help Jim 

Message was edited by: Railtickethome

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Jim.

Your camcorder is pre-digital and your PC only appears to have USB ports.  Best to try the simplest methods until you find if the tapes are still usable.

Suggestion 1.

Most Hard Disc/DVD video recorders will accept the analogue inputs from your camcorder and convert these to a digital signal which then gets recorded to the hard disc or a DVD.  Almost all  TV Hard Disc (and/or DVD) Recorders will have your analogue inputs (Yellow/White/Red) on the back or inside the front flap.  You need to select the analogue input, start the camera and press record on the recorder.  This is the simplest method of transferring the contents of the Video 8 Tapes to a digital format and then to DVD.  However, if you wish to edit the video, you may need to look at Suggestion 2 although some simple editing features are usually incorporated in the TV Recorder.

Suggestion 2.

Invest in a USB Video Capture Device and editing software.  You can buy these for as little as £5 and as much as £150. Go to Amazon and search for "USB Video Capture Device" and you will find plenty.  Choose one with editing software that is Windows 7 compatible.  Something like this one should suit your purposes : -

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Camcorders-Recorder-Satellite-playstation3-software/dp/B003D8VQIG/ref=sr_1_3...

You will see that the device connects to the same Y/R/W cable you use to connect to a TV and to your PC using a USB port.

Good Luck - come back if you have any questions.

:thinking:

Railtickethome
Visitor

Many thanks have gone for option 2 plus a Sony cleanup tape for my old VR which is worth the £30 quid total either way. That then gives me Option 1 as a contingency. Will let you know how it goes.

Appreciate the advice and help so quickly. Thank you.

Jim

Hi There!

Just like Jim I have questions about converting my old 8mm tapes to digital. I used to work with a DCRTRV361 on my laptop back in 2004. Recently I changed my Laptop for a new one that doesn't have a CD unit to reinstall the Picture Package software. I had read that Picture Packages is no more and been replaced by Play Memories. I want to know if I can still use PMH to convert the tapes. 

The new Laptop runs over Windows 7 and I had read that it may or may not work with my old cam firmware is there any options for me?

Thanks

Are you selling ur cam recorder. I have some tapes  8 MM. video cassette high grade HG 90  but not able to play them as my  recorder broke and I threw it away many moons ago. Would love to transform them to digital or just to see the tapes again. The tapes  of my children growing up 20 yrs ago. Thanks Claude 

Hi,

sorry, it's not mine but my father in law's. He also is trying to convert his old tapes to digital video but he is not willing to sell the cam yet

nadiaswan
Explorer

hello, apologies in advance I know little about technology. I too would like to convert my Sony 8mm tapes to dvd and be able to edit them. I have tried to find out how for weeks. I have a Sony 48x digital zoom Steady Shot Handy Cam video 8. ( I'm assuming that is the entire model description.)

I have an LG pc which I think runs Windows 7 and seems to have windows movie maker and windows dvd maker.

I also have a laptop Mac book Air but it does n't play dvds.

Can anyone please help me in very simple terms? <Content removed by moderator due to personal details>.

Many thanks. Nadia.