Join now - be part of our community!

Converting old Sony 8mm cassettes to digital

profile.country.en_GB.title
Railtickethome
Visitor

Converting old Sony 8mm cassettes to digital

I have a 1990s Sony video camcorder and a number of family 8mm tapes I want to convert to digital.  I have read conflicting reports on the net including buying a convertor to buying a new inexpensive (Sony) Hi8 or digital camcorder that will play 8mm tapes. Any solid advice would be appreciated please.

Jim

Message was edited by: Railtickethome

16 REPLIES 16
tiandiren
New

Hi! I have a Sony CCD-TR840E video camera recorder and I would like to convert video 8 tapes to digital. The laptop I am using is an Acer AspireF 15 running Windows 10. Please advise what software program/connection cables etc that I need to complete this project.

Many thanks in advance for your assistance and guidance.

Jing

profile.country.GB.title
AmyChristensen08
Explorer

I, too, have a high 8 (from the 80's) and digital 8mm tape from 1990s  and a number of family 8mm tapes I want to convert to digital.  I currently don't have a way to play them or transfer them. Can you advise on best high-quality players and converters to buy? I'm looking for top-quality transfers for both the audio and video.

Any solid advice would be appreciated please.

profile.country.GB.title
ReconScout
Explorer

I have a sony handicam hi8 from years ago. It works perfectly. 
I remember years ago seeing a all in one device that let you put the tape and a DVD in it, and it automatically converted the tape, and recorded it on DVD.
I have a lot of tapes and can't afford to pay 10-20 apiece to convert them. 
Also, I don't have the HD space, and time to to them all manually with an adapter and software (even though the handicam has a firewire port and so does my computer).

I cannot find a device like this anywhere. Has anyone seen a device like this??

Thanks!
D

profile.country.GB.title
AmyChristensen08
Explorer

I would also like to know the same thing!
profile.country.DE.title
darkframe
Expert

Hi @ReconScout,

@ReconScout  schrieb:

I remember years ago seeing a all in one device that let you put the tape and a DVD in it, and it automatically converted the tape, and recorded it on DVD.

First off, I cannot delete erroneously posted entries but move them to the trash, which I did :smiley:

And yes, years ago there was a device which did what you're looking for. Look for a Sony EV-C500E. I've only found entries in German ebay like this. Maybe you're able to find it in the UK as well. It's no longer produced so that you're pinned down to used but working equipment.

Maybe it would be more cost-effective to think about letting the conversion be done by a local dealer or to invest into additional harddisks and a capture device (maybe Firewire works on your PC?)

Cheers

darkframe

Wo kämen wir hin, wenn jeder sagte, wo kämen wir hin und keiner ginge, um zu sehen, wohin wir kämen, wenn wir gingen... (© by Kurt Marti)
profile.country.GB.title
daveclark966
Explorer

Avdshare Video Converter can Convert any Sony camcorder recorded AVCHD format ver. 2.0 compatible: MPEG4-AVC/H.264, XAVC S format: MPEG4-AVC/H264, XAVC S Proxy: MPEG-4 AVC/H.264, etc to MP4, WMV, MOV, AVI, FLV, ASF, MKV, H.264, H.265 or any other video format supported by your commonly used device.
profile.country.GB.title
ericgulikers
Explorer

I also have a Sony Video 8mm video cassette that I would like to convert to digital: problem being I don't have the original cam corder any longer,  so I guess I would need it to be able to go straight onto a USB stick or digital file?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks, Eric