Join now - be part of our community!

DCR-DVD150E

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
redstag
Visitor

DCR-DVD150E

I bought a Sony DCR-DVD150E over 2 years ago from John Lewis in Aberdeen as they gave an extra 1 year warranty on top of the 1 year from Sony, and the camcorder has worked as it should until very recently when it started to "freeze" or not read discs when I try and review my footage on my tv (also a Sony), so I was wondering if anyone else has had the same problem with the same model.

I use TDK DVD-RW 60min double-sided discs and have had no problems with them until very recently, so is the laser needing replaced on the camcorder, or is something else wrong.

I assume a repair will cost in the region of £100 (+-) and I'm Registered Disabled and cannot work, therefore I cannot afford to replace it, so my options are to get it repaired or use the "Sale of Goods Act 1979" and get it repaired or replaced that way as there is NO way I can get my hands on £100 +- as I live from week to week on benefit

All constructive replies are welcome but no others!

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
redstag
Visitor

Hi Mick,

Many thanks for your greeting and reply - much appreciated.

I have tried a brand new Sony DVD-R disc, recorded then watched the footage and it appears to be working as it should i.e. no sticking or cannot read the disc etc, so how do I clean the laser?

I always use RW discs for the simple reason that I can reuse them  --  is any make better than others, and which ones do I avoid.  Where is the best place to buy them.

Thanks

redstag

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Mick2011
New

Hi redstag, welcome to the Sony Forums :slight_smile:

Does the camera record ok?

Is the playback stalling on all disks, including new (and newly recorded) ones?

It's possible the laser lens may need cleaning, but it's best to eliminate the posisbility of the disk somehow being at fault first.

Cheers

Mick

redstag
Visitor

Hi Mick,

Many thanks for your greeting and reply - much appreciated.

I have tried a brand new Sony DVD-R disc, recorded then watched the footage and it appears to be working as it should i.e. no sticking or cannot read the disc etc, so how do I clean the laser?

I always use RW discs for the simple reason that I can reuse them  --  is any make better than others, and which ones do I avoid.  Where is the best place to buy them.

Thanks

redstag

Mick2011
New

Hello again

Yes, DVD-R discs are generally more reliable than RW ones. Manufacturer's tests report up to 10 times longer life with normal 'R' discs and I can only see that affecting playback performance after a while. Reliability can depend on brand, handling, storage, usage... many factors will eventually reduce the ability of a DVD-RW to reliably retain its data, and this will happen quicker than with DVD-R.

I guess if you're re-writing them you are also able to copy the contents to a normal DVD-R? This is a v good idea, if you consider the security of your videos over a number of years. Personally, I'd be inclined to stick to DVD-R for recording too, for these reasons. With the new disc being OK, does seem to suggest the problem lies with re-written RW discs, rather than your camera.

I would avoid cleaning the lens, to be honest, unless your sure it needs it. If you do choose to clean it, don't use one of those cheap cleaning discs as they've been known to scratch the lens and actually make matters worse. If you can see the lens and have a steady hand, a single wipe with a cotton bud (Q-tip) moistened with isopropyl alcohol would be the best way to do it.

Cheers

Mick

redstag
Visitor

Many thanks for your help Mick  - it stopped me taking the camera back to John Lewis and causing a scene !!

redstag

Mick2011
New

Any time!

:cool: