Join now - be part of our community!

DCR-HC16E handycam help with usb cable please

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
tumchy
Visitor

DCR-HC16E handycam help with usb cable please

Hi, I bought one of these second hand so that I could download my old tapes when my other one broke. The Picture Package disc that came with it is not compatible with Windows Vista, so i downloaded PMB. When I try to download tapes i get a message on the handycam screen saying, "usb invalid during handycam"  Should I be using a different cable?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Mick2011
New

Hi Anne :slight_smile:

If it's a desktop computer you can install an inextensive iLink (FireWire) card to provide that connection. It may also be possible on a laptop if there is an expansion bay you can use.

Cheers

Mick

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
blaireau_photo
Visitor

Hello tumchy - Welcome to the Sony Forums :slight_smile:

If the cable fits perfectly at both ends, the chances are that it is a software issue that is preventing the computer from recognising the camera. Did you download the software from the official support page for the DCR-HC16 which is here:

http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/product/DCR-HC16E/updates

There is also a specific USB driver available on this page which may assist you.

Thanks,

Simon

tumchy
Visitor

Thanks Simon for your prompt reply. I did download the software from that page but the USB driver doesn't seem to be compatible with Vista.     I hate when you buy a new puter and nothing's compatible any more.

I'll try it again tomorrow, I'm a bit skelly eyed now.

Thanks.

Anne

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Anne,

I think you will find the USB. connection is not supported with Vista/Windows 7.

You will need to use an iLink cable (FireWire) if your new computer supports this.  What  connections does your PC have?

tumchy
Visitor

Thanks for your help. I think I have an iLink cable, but there's no connection for it on new computer.

Sorry, but I don't know what connections it has, all I know is on the old puter, I just connected the handycam and i was able to make up wee video films.  i think I'll be able to transfer them to DVD on my VHS to DVD recorder, but I'd much rather do it the puter if at all possible.

Thanks again, Anne

Mick2011
New

Hi Anne :slight_smile:

If it's a desktop computer you can install an inextensive iLink (FireWire) card to provide that connection. It may also be possible on a laptop if there is an expansion bay you can use.

Cheers

Mick