Join now - be part of our community!

DCR-SR32E

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
Sonjaday
Visitor

DCR-SR32E

I need help please, I have the DCR-SR32E Handycam and I'm having problems trying to connect it to my pc.  I'm running windows 7 and connecting with the USB onto the recharging stand as I have in the past.

Although I've done this successfully before, the last time I had a problem with the pc recognising the USB and I kept trying over many weeks and eventually it worked.  I was so pleased and I was able to copy all my video footage onto the pc.  Now I'm trying again my pc is refusing to acknowledge that the USB is connected. I cannot update any Drivers or a new PMB as it says I already have the latest version.

I don't know why this is happening and would like some help if anyone recognises this problem.

Sorry about the lack of technical jargon and information, but I'm not completely computer literate, so please bear with me.

Thank you.

Sonja

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Mick2011
New

Hi Sonja

If the camera isn't detected it's most likely a problem with the USB connection. It can be a tricky thing to troubleshoot, but we can go through the most likely things first. This is from the official Sony support documentation; follow these steps to see if you can get the PC to recognise the handycam:

• Some computer operating systems may required you to be logged on as an Administrator or with administrator rights.
  • If the computer you are using is connected to a network, it may be necessary to temporarily disable the network connection or connect the camcorder to another computer that is not on a network.

1. Ensure the USB cable is connected properly to the camcorder.
  2. Ensure the other end of the USB cable is connected directly to the USB port on the computer.

NOTE: Connection through a USB hub is not supported.

3. Disconnect any other USB devices (except for the mouse and keyboard) from the computer.
  4. Turn off the camcorder for 30 seconds.
  5. After 30 seconds, turn the camcorder on again.

IMPORTANT:
    If you have a camcorder with USB Streaming capability, you may also need to turn on the USB Streaming feature in the camcorder menu. However, not all camcorders with a USB connection support USB Streaming.

After being turned on, some camcorder models require you to select USB CONNECT or COMPUTER on the LCD screen.

If necessary, consult the instruction manual of your camcorder for further information.

6. If the issue is not resolved, restart the computer.
  7. If the issue is still not resolved after restarting the computer, try connecting the USB cable to another USB port on the computer.
  8. If the issue is still not resolved, try uninstalling and reinstalling the USB driver.
  9. If the issue is still not resolved, it may be necessary to replace the USB cable.

The troubleshooting steps listed above should resolve your issue. If you have completed all of the steps and the issue is not resolved, then it is recommended you try connecting the camcorder to another computer. If the issue does not occur with another computer, then the USB ports on the first computer may not be configured properly or software may be installed that is interfering with the connection. In these situations, you may need to contact your computer manufacturer.

Hope this gets you somewhere.

Mick

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Mick2011
New

Hi Sonja, welcome to the Sony Forums :slight_smile:

It could just be that PMB isn't auto-launching when you connect the camera, even though the PC does recognise it. You can check by going to [Start] on your PC, select [Control Panel] and find [Devices and Printers] to see if it's listed there.

Assuming it is, start PMB and select [File] > [Import Media Files...] in the menu and you should be able to navigate to your camera/files.

To open the [Import Media Files to PMB] window automatically the next time, select [Tools] > [Settings...] > [Import] in the menu, and check the [Import with PMB when a device is connected] box.

Hope this helps

Mick

Sonjaday
Visitor

Mick2011

Thank you for the welcome to the forums, I apologise for not replying sooner,  I have been checking my emails in the mistaken thought that I would have an email to let me know a reply had been received to my query.

I have followed your suggestion and connected the camcorder, but it isn't listed in the Devices and Printers.  I tried launching PMB anyway and went to File and Import Media Files, but it says it doesn't have a device to import from.  It's what would be expected, but I thought I'd try anyway.

When I connect the camcorder nothing happens on the pc at all. This happened over many weeks earlier this year and all of a sudden, it worked and I was able to import the files.  The camcorder screen shows the correct screen, USB selected.

I would be grateful if you could think of some other reason for this frustrating problem please.

Thank you so much for trying to answer my query.

Sonja

Mick2011
New

Hi Sonja

If the camera isn't detected it's most likely a problem with the USB connection. It can be a tricky thing to troubleshoot, but we can go through the most likely things first. This is from the official Sony support documentation; follow these steps to see if you can get the PC to recognise the handycam:

• Some computer operating systems may required you to be logged on as an Administrator or with administrator rights.
  • If the computer you are using is connected to a network, it may be necessary to temporarily disable the network connection or connect the camcorder to another computer that is not on a network.

1. Ensure the USB cable is connected properly to the camcorder.
  2. Ensure the other end of the USB cable is connected directly to the USB port on the computer.

NOTE: Connection through a USB hub is not supported.

3. Disconnect any other USB devices (except for the mouse and keyboard) from the computer.
  4. Turn off the camcorder for 30 seconds.
  5. After 30 seconds, turn the camcorder on again.

IMPORTANT:
    If you have a camcorder with USB Streaming capability, you may also need to turn on the USB Streaming feature in the camcorder menu. However, not all camcorders with a USB connection support USB Streaming.

After being turned on, some camcorder models require you to select USB CONNECT or COMPUTER on the LCD screen.

If necessary, consult the instruction manual of your camcorder for further information.

6. If the issue is not resolved, restart the computer.
  7. If the issue is still not resolved after restarting the computer, try connecting the USB cable to another USB port on the computer.
  8. If the issue is still not resolved, try uninstalling and reinstalling the USB driver.
  9. If the issue is still not resolved, it may be necessary to replace the USB cable.

The troubleshooting steps listed above should resolve your issue. If you have completed all of the steps and the issue is not resolved, then it is recommended you try connecting the camcorder to another computer. If the issue does not occur with another computer, then the USB ports on the first computer may not be configured properly or software may be installed that is interfering with the connection. In these situations, you may need to contact your computer manufacturer.

Hope this gets you somewhere.

Mick

Sonjaday
Visitor

Hi Mick

I've followed your instructions, but unfortunately it hasn't worked.

Sometimes, but not always, I have a message saying that the USB device I've connected is not recognised, so would that suggest that the USB may in fact be working, albeit spasmodically?

I tried to go through Start, Sony Picture Utility, Import From, then whether I choose to import from, Handycam Hard Disc Drive or Handycam or computer disc, I have the message

"Cannot start Disc Importer because the Picture Motion Browser set up is running".

I've had this message before and don't know how to rectify this problem with the PMB set up running all the time.

I would like to thank you so much, you have spent a lot of time helping me and I really do appreciate the effort.

Thank you.

Sonja

Mick2011
New

Hi Sonja

If you've been through steps 6-9 above and there's no improvement, it must be a software conflict. Certainly the sporadic connection errors you mention sound like communication with the camera is being interrupted by processes running on the computer.

The simplest thing may be to try creating a new user account on your computer with administrator rights and install PMB using this new account. You may also have some success disabling startup items by unchecking the appropriate box in MSConfig. Either way, you should be able to get a less conflicted result when you plug your camera in.

Whatever you do, please double-check you have the latest version of PMB. It's available for download here: http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/product/DCR-SR32E/downloads/PMB

Generally speaking however, I'm afraid you're looking more at computer software issues than camera hardware problems, which makes me unable to help any further.

I do hope you manage to find a solution there somewhere.

Best wishes

Mick