Join now - be part of our community!

DCR-SX15E DATA ERROR PROBLEM

profile.country.en_GB.title
bighammerfan
Explorer

DCR-SX15E DATA ERROR PROBLEM

Hi. I have a problem with my camcorder and basically when i record a few video clips and try to view them on my handycam, I can view the first one and the last one but if i try to view the ones in the middle i get a 'DATA ERROR' message. If i copy to my computer and try to play with windows media player i get a message saying "Windows media player cannot play this file.The player might not support the file type or might not support the codec used to compress this file" Also when i take pictures some can be viewed and some have a big '?' on the file.  Any ideas where im going wrong ?

1 REPLY 1
profile.country.en_GB.title
blaireau_photo
Visitor

Hello bighammerfan,

To get more of an idea about video formats and possible issues around each file, I would suggest trying to view them in VLC Player - this is a free piece of software that, in my experience, will try and play files that other media players cannot handle - for whatever technical reason. I cannot guarantee that it will view everything but codec support is pretty good.

The software can be found here:

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

Hopefully you will have some success with this and it will give you a good indication about which files are truly unplayable.

Other than this, it may be worthwhile to back-up everything on the memory stick to your PC and then check that it has been saved successfully (check, double check, triple check - this is something that I have been guilty of NOT doing in the past :smileyblush:). Once you are sure that the files are backed up safely, try formatting the memory stick in the camera to see if it was an issue with corrupted data.

Good luck with this,

Simon