Join now - be part of our community!

DCR-TRV30E Mini DV to iMac iMovie 11

profile.country.en_GB.title
chhilde23
Visitor

DCR-TRV30E Mini DV to iMac iMovie 11

Hi,

I would really appreciate some help and advice.  I have a Sony Handycam DCR-TRV30E with Mini DV tapes.  I want to upload the video from the tapes into iMovie 11 on my iMac (running snow leopard and fully patched).

Everything I have read says that you just plug the firewire (iLink) cable into the iMac and then the Camera and iMovie will automatically show its blue screen in the iMove window and following that you can copy your vidoe onto disk.  Well, I have everything running fine but iMac / iMove will not reconnise the handycam.  I have read the manual and searched the web and run out of ideas!

Are there settings on the camera that I have missed and which need to be correct in order for the connection to be made?  Have you any ideas on how I can go abut trouble shooting and /or solving this problem?

Thank you in advance.

Chris

3 REPLIES 3
Mick2011
New

Hi Chris, welcome to the Sony Forums :slight_smile:

I have a TRV335 and when I first got it I solved a similar problem on the Mac by changing the firewire cable. Firewire is notorious for this sort of connetion problem and the first thing to rule out if you're getting nothing in iMovie when you plug in & switch on; it should be as simple as that.

Cheers

Mick

chhilde23
Visitor

Hi Mick,

Thank you for the welcome and the advice.  I did buy a different cable yesterday and plugged it in - and hey presto - it worked first time.  I am now getting to grips with compiling Movoes in iMovie.  Not sure the family will appreciate having to watch years worth of old holiday video over the Chrismas period though 🙂

Appreciate your advice and your time in responding.

Chris

Mick2011
New

You're very welcome Chris :slight_smile: