Join now - be part of our community!

FDR-AX33 not turning on

profile.country.SE.title
Tompa-P
Explorer

FDR-AX33 not turning on

My camcorder FDR-AX33 does not turn on when I open the display-window or alternatively extends the viewfinder to turn the power on. The charging light turns green for about one second and there is a sound and the text "HANDYCAM" is shown in the fold-able display window. This is repeated two additional times with a few seconds interval. After this nothing happens and the display window is not on. I have tried it with battery and with/without charger connected and in addition without battery with the charger connected but  nothing works. Any ideas what the problem can be?

Tags (2)
4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.GR.title
bowser-13
Explorer

Hallo,

I use the same camera for years and never had the same problem. I think it is due to a software failure.

Could you try to follow the 9 steps as discraibed here: https://www.sony.com/electronics/support/articles/00025695

1. Turn off the camcorder.
  2. Disconnect AC power adapter.
  3. Remove the battery pack.
  4. Remove the lithium button-cell battery (if applicable).
  5. Move the POWER switch to the CAMERA position for 15 seconds.
  6. Move the POWER switch to the OFF position.
  7. Reinsert the lithium button-cell battery (if applicable).
  8. Reconnect the AC power adapter or reinsert the battery pack.
  9. Turn on the camcorder.
profile.country.SE.title
Tompa-P
Explorer

Thanks for the reply! I have tried the actions as you suggested and which are also listed in information from Sony. However the camcorder still does not start. Some of the advised measures are not applicable for the FDR-AX33. :

Advice no. :

4. I am not aware of any lithium button cell battery. In case there is any such battery to retain information about things such as date it is not informed about in the manual. Is there any such battery internally and could the failure of such a battery prevent starting of the camera?

5. Power button does not include positions off and camera but it is only a push button for starting the camera so this advise is not applicable.

Since the camera does not start it is not possible to try a reset of the camera. Is there any alternative way to initiate a reset in addition to using the display in case this would be helpful?

It seems like the main battery is charging since there is an orange indicator which eventually is turned of  indicating fully charged I suppose.

profile.country.GR.title
bowser-13
Explorer

I can not test these steps on my camera, in that case I will delete my settings. But I would skip the 4th step. As for the 5th and 6th step, I would keep pressing the ON/OFF button for 15 seconds (the "hidden" button on the left side of the camera).

Also have you tried to connect the camera on a tv?

profile.country.SE.title
Tompa-P
Explorer

Thanks! I have now tried all suggested measures and unfortunately the video camera still does not turn on. I also tested connecting to  a TV using the HDMI output. I wonder if there could be some internal connector which is not working properly? (I saw a Youtube clip of some other video camera where some internal flat cables were disconnected and connected again which caused the touch screen on that camera to start working again).   Does anybody know if any failure of an internal mini battery (in case there is such a battery) could cause this kind of starting failure?