Join now - be part of our community!

FDR-AX33: Some thoughts about "Low Lux" function

SOLVED
profile.country.GR.title
ioagount

FDR-AX33: Some thoughts about "Low Lux" function

Hi everyone,

Sometimes, I'm shooting in low light conditions (e.g. on a port at night). I was using a monopod for panning, had all the settings to "auto" and the "Low Lux" function "ON". The picture looked shaky when panning in normal speed. I changed the "Shutter Speed" το "50" (this value was lower by default) and the shakiness disappeared and the film looked good. The problem is that, getting the Shutter Speed higher in these conditions (night, Low Lux ON), I sacrifice the brightness that gives the Low Lux function to the picture. 

I usually shoot using the AVCHD or XAVC S HD format, 1920x1080, 50p and highest bitrate.

If you want to shoot 4K video, Sony suggests you to use a tripod in order to keep the picture soft. Is this a similar problem to the above? 

Did anyone notice the same issue on FDR camera?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Mick_D

Hi @ioagount

That sounds about right and doesn't really constitute an 'issue' with the camera. 'Low Lux' will set a slower shutter speed, so over-riding this will obviously negate the benefit of that setting. 

The recommendations for shooting 4K will apply equally to 'Low Lux'. If you're very steady with a monopod, you might get smooth footage, but panning will be much more difficult. A tripod is always going to be your best bet in low light conditions. 

Hope that's of some help!

Mick

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
profile.country.GB.title
Mick_D

Hi @ioagount

That sounds about right and doesn't really constitute an 'issue' with the camera. 'Low Lux' will set a slower shutter speed, so over-riding this will obviously negate the benefit of that setting. 

The recommendations for shooting 4K will apply equally to 'Low Lux'. If you're very steady with a monopod, you might get smooth footage, but panning will be much more difficult. A tripod is always going to be your best bet in low light conditions. 

Hope that's of some help!

Mick