Join now - be part of our community!

FDR AX53 recording MP4 plus JPG photo

profile.country.GB.title
hellosony44
Explorer

FDR AX53 recording MP4 plus JPG photo

Hello I am new to the community. I have been trying for a week now to solve the following problem. I hope you can help:

When I record on my FDR AX53 in 4K or XAVC S HD, the result is always an mp4 file PLUS a single jpg file photo of the start scene of the recording. Is this normal, if so why?

Ps. I am not hitting the photo button in error.

7 REPLIES 7
profile.country.GB.title
Jonnie1266
Contributor

Hi hellosony44,

I have also experienced this phenomenon. I noticed it when I uploaded a recording to my computer using PlayMemories Home. I searched the memory stick for photographs (jpeg) but there weren't any. I deliberately took a photograph, found it then deleted it just to check that I wasn't going mad ! :upside_down:

It is almost a 'left over' from when the recording began, if that makes sense. Sony have been known to update PlayMemories Home in the past and suddenly previously hidden files have become visible, they have then rectified this with another software update. Did you notice this using PlayMemories Home ?

I will check again next time I upload a recording, in the meantime I wonder if anyone else is experiencing this ?

Regards

If it ain't broke don't fix it
profile.country.GB.title
hellosony44
Explorer

Hello Jonnie1266.

I have never used PlayMemories. I take the sd memory card from the camcorder and load it directly to my computer,

I play the MP4 on windows media player,

The jpg opens in the normal way as a photograph. (it says it is jpg. is that the same as jpeg)

When recording in just avchd everything is normal, there is no jpg.

Thanks for replying.

profile.country.GB.title
Jonnie1266
Contributor

Hi,

Again, I am also unsure of this. Although the jpg (I think it is the same as jpeg) was at the start of the recording I was unable to find it when playing back on the camcorder so therefore I was unable to delete it or know that it was even there. I removed it by deleting the jpg file on my PC, it did not harm the recording in any way. I usually fade in at the start of a recording, like you say, the jpg was at the very start before the video actually began and there was only the one instance of it. I have not recorded anything in AVCHD. It is no great deal but it is weird.

Regards

profile.country.GB.title
Jonnie1266
Contributor

Probably of no use to you as you are not using PlayMemories Home but just out of interest read the following thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/alpha-nex-interchangeable-lens-cameras/play-memories-home-creates-lo...

Follow the link in that thread to the solution which was another update from Sony to rectify the issue.

This is one example of how these freaky occurances can happen - I wonder if we are due another camera update.......

Regards

profile.country.GB.title
hellosony44
Explorer

Thanks for the links. I guess i will just have to live with the problem as it does not affect the videos. If I find the solution I'll let you know thanks for your help.

Asher17
Explorer

I bought this camcorder yesterday and had the same problem - until I formatted the card. Now I get m2ts files not mp4 and no jpg.  Hope that helps.

profile.country.GB.title
Jonnie1266
Contributor

Hi Asher17,

Thanks for this but I formatted my cards also.

I have recently uploaded two different recordings to my PC, one in XAVC 4K and one in XAVC HD and the offending JPG was not there. Beats me :confused:

Regards