Join now - be part of our community!

FDRAX 700. HDR 2020.Reds not correct

profile.country.GB.title
chasteven
Explorer

FDRAX 700. HDR 2020.Reds not correct

On the Picture Profile 10,HDR 2020 the setting does not reproduce red correctly if this is the main part of the image.Taking video of London Buses and the red has an orange/ pink tinge

Switching to Rec 709 or taking stills is fine. 

Is the camcorder faulty( one week old)

17 REPLIES 17
profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hello @chasteven,

that is normal - the color representation depends on different factors, most importantly the screen you are viewing the video on.

If your screen and the playback hardware do not support bt 2020, you won't see accurate colors.

You can though color grade bt 2020 videos to make them look more like the same video shot as rec 709 video.

This video explains it quite well:

- Nic

profile.country.GB.title
chasteven
Explorer

Thank you for your reply.The TV (Panasonic TX902) fully supports HLG and 2020.The camcorder has three HLG settings.Option 1( Picture Profile No 10 is fixed to the European Standards) and is the one I use.The camcorder confirms that it is recording in HLG(HDR) and 2020 colour space.

On the viewfinder and screen I can clearly see that the reds are not correct.This is particularly noticeable on things like cars and busses.Pillar Box red has this distinct milky red appearance.No amount of adjustment corrects this within the various settings offered.

The TV instantly recognizes the HLG(HDR) and 2020 but obviously it cannot play back correct colour if it was not recorded.correctly.

Switch to 709 or take stills and the picture is fine.

I can clearly see the advantages of HLG and 2020 but at the moment with this red issue I am not able to see its full benefit.

According to the manual I should not notice any change to the colours themselves using HLG and 2020!

profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hello @chasteven,

@chasteven  schrieb:

No amount of adjustment corrects this within the various settings offered. 

with color correction I was not referring to any in-camera settings. I was referring to post-production changes performed in a video editing software of your choice.

- Nic

profile.country.GB.title
chasteven
Explorer

Would I be correct in saying that on Picture Profile 10 the colours on the screen/viefinder should be correct?

Perhaps I have a rogue machine.Only had it 8 days!

My dealer is happy to replace

profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hello @chasteven,

I am very confident your camera does show correctly what it is supposed to show on the screen. :wink:

If what it shows matched what you see with the naked eye is a completly different story.

It depends on more settings than just the rec 709 or bt 2020 setting. 

Since I have changed my Picture profiles from the factory settings - would you mind sharing what it is set to on your device?

Also yes - if I switch to bt 2020 reds (or rather which looked red with the rec 709 setting) look more pink on the cameras display.

The "Color Phase" (in-camera) setting though can change that.

- Nic

P.S.: Switch trough the different S-Log modes and you will also see that colors on the screen won't match what you see IRL. That has to do with what these modes are intended for (as I said - some modes are meant for color correction during post processing).

profile.country.GB.title
chasteven
Explorer

Thank you for your reply.Sorry i was not able to reply till now as i was at a meeting and needed to be in front of the camcorder.

The Settings(Manufacturers on  Profile 10) are these

Black Level 0

Gamma HLG

black gamma middle. level 0

knee manual

colour mode bt2020

saturation 0

colour phase 0

colour depth all 0

colour correction off

wb shift lb-cc

detail level 0

I have been able to connect the camcorder to the TV and can confirm that the milky reds are the same when connected to the TV as when showed on the OLED monitor and  pull out screen.The playback on the TV is a faithful reproduction of what I am seeing before recording.

Only the 709 mode,switching the gamma setting off or recording a still picture shows the red correctly.

As the ability to record 2020 with HLG is a major feature of this camcorder(and the reason I bought it to replace the previous 4K Sony camcorder HDRX1000) I find it incredible that it is unable to monitor and record correct colours.

profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hi @chasteven,

did you try to adjust the "color-phase"-setting? :thinking:

That should resolve your issue in-camera.

Also HLG3 is my preferred setting by the way. :wink:

As I said before - the camera does shot exactly what it is supposed to. If you choose to not perform color correction during post processing, it is not the cameras fault and you need to select different settings on the camera.

Watch this video as reference:

- Nic

profile.country.GB.title
chasteven
Explorer

I have not adjusted the colour phase setting.What should I adjust it to please?

profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hi @chasteven,

I found that reds became less pink by setting it to a value lower than 0 (e.g. -7). Though that also changes other colors.

But first try and see if selecting HLG3 resolves your issue. I found that mode to give a better color representation.

- Nic