Join now - be part of our community!

GPS tagging of videos

tiresias1
New

GPS tagging of videos

I used to have an old Sony HDR-XR520VE video camcorder which had a built-in GPS unit that recorded the GPS location continuously into the video file, so that from other software you could see the moving route that the camera took while a recorded clip had been made. The camera is now dead, so I'm trying to find a new Sony camera that can do the same thing.

However, it looks like all of the current Sony camcorders do not have a built-in GPS unit. After a lot of searching, I found it seems that Sony have a new approach to this that involves loading their "PlayMemories Mobile" or "Imaging Edge" app on your smartphone and bluetooth-pairing the phone with the camera. The phone app then polls the phone's GPS unit and sends the GPS location data via Bluetooth to the camera.

When shooting a PHOTO, the camera then just reads the GPS location from the data sent by the phone and stores it in the photo file as EXIF data.

BUT I can't seem to find out how this works when shooting VIDEO.

Does the camcorder store the complete route that the camera took (like my old camera), or just a single GPS location (the same as when taking a photo)?

I guess that the camera could store the whole route as a separate GPX file, one corresponding to each video clip file. Or maybe it just stores one GPS location inside the video file (so there is no route information at all).

I really need to have the whole route for each video file, so is this possible with the new Sony camcorders and the app? If so, which camcorders are compatible, and how is the route stored (in a GPX file maybe)?

Thanks.

1 REPLY 1
profile.country.GB.title
Pascale_F

Hi tiresias1

Welcome to the Community. 

If you get in touch with 
Sony Support about this, they should be able to assist.

Thanks,

Pascale