Join now - be part of our community!

Handycam DCR-HC14E not connecting to my computer

profile.country.en_IE.title
1slowLearner
Visitor

Handycam DCR-HC14E not connecting to my computer

I have this handycam and have installed the software, however, when I plug it into my computer via the usb cable, my computer does not recognise it stating no connection has been made. Please help me as I have videos going back years which I now want to get onto my computer. Many thanks in advance

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.en_GB.title
blaireau_photo
Visitor

Hello 1slowLearner - Welcome to the Sony Forums :slight_smile:

There may be a compatibility issue here. Could you let me know some more information about your system i.e. operating system, laptop/desktop and if your computer has a FireWire socket (this may be labelled as iLink). If in doubt, let me know the model number of your system if it is a regular retail model and I can check out the specification for you to see exactly what is available.

Thanks,

Simon

1slowLearner
Visitor

Simon, thanks you and thanks a million for your offer of help.

I'm using a toshiba equium A110-233 laptop which runs MS windows XP 2002. Thats about it as you lost me on the firewire socket/iLink.

I loaded the software CD, updated my adobe reader and flashplayer and am now at a loss.

I hope I've included enough info for you and thank you once again, you might just stop me from going grey.

Catherine

blaireau_photo
Visitor

Hello again :slight_smile:

Thanks for the information. I found the specification page for your laptop here:

http://uk.computers.toshiba-europe.com/innovation/jsp/SUPPORTSECTION/discontinuedProductPage.do?PROD...

In the 'interfaces' box, it states that there is 1 x iLink which is the FireWire input. If you are having difficulty getting the USB cable to function correctly between camera and laptop, I would recommend using the FireWire instead as it is a common format and the necessary cables are only a few pounds to purchase.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/High-Grade-Firewire-DCR-HC14E-Camcorder/dp/B004OUJKC6

This is one example, you may be able to find one for less than £5.99 by shopping around.

Once you have this lead, you need to use movie editing software to capture the video directly from the camera. For Windows XP, there is a specific version of Windows Movie Maker that will do the job. Provided that you have updated your version of Windows with Service Pack 2 (one of the automatic updates) this software should already be installed. Other than this, you could always download VirtualDub which I have heard is pretty useful.

This should be better than using USB with far better picture quality as well.

Thanks,

Simon

1slowLearner
Visitor

I will do as you state and let you know.

thank you so much for helping and giving your time.

Have a great evening and I will update once I have all in order.

Once again, thank you

blaireau_photo
Visitor

Thanks let me know what happens :slight_smile:

Simon