Join now - be part of our community!

HDR-UX10

profile.country.en_GB.title
t04st3d161
Visitor

HDR-UX10

Hi,

Wondering if anyone can help me.

I've got the SONY HDR-UX10. All the videos that I take come out grainy/horizontal lines unless its dead still. No matter if I put it on HD FH (AVC HD 16MB), HD HQ (AVC HD9M) or any of the lower quality settings.

Here is an example of a video - https://mega.co.nz/#!6lIAnAoR!WQfpKGqNcAyBMTT8XkqYZDd_CeROZsJIjh1H_0Fnyj0

At the moment my cellphone takes better videos than this?

Regards,

Ross

7 REPLIES 7
Mick2011
New

Hi Ross, welcome to the Sony Forums :slight_smile:

I wasn't able to successfully download your video via that link. Could you possibly upload it to Vimeo or YouTube?

It sounds as if the Image Stabiliser mechanism may be faulty, but it's hard to say without seeing an example.

Cheers

Mick

t04st3d161
Visitor

Thanks for the reply.

I've uploaded a video to youtube. Just remember to put it in 1080p and wait for the camera movement.

It nearly feels like the video is going to make you feel sick because of the fuzziness when moving.

http://youtu.be/BWUZOya4RUo

Message was edited by: t04st3d161

Mick2011
New

Thanks for that Ross.

I can see what you mean now. That jerky motion is probably due to poor de-interlacing. Basically, your camera shoots 1080i (interlaced) which must be converted, at some point, to 1080p (progressive) for playback.

Your video editing software should have an option to de-interlace the source video. If you do this on import it should render the panning shots nice and smooth.

I think you may also be getting a badly-performed conversion from (interlaced) 25fps to (progressive) 30fps. Some video editors default to 30fps – as does YouTube – regardless of the souce video framerate. UK cameras usually shoot 25fps and you should stick to this unless you have a very good conversion app to handle it.

You can check if de-interlacing is the problem by shooting 720p. As it's already progressive it won't need de-interlacing and you shouldn't get the jerky panning. Progressive is a better format to shoot in general even (arguably) at slightly lower (720) resolution, for this reason.

In short, I'm pretty sure your camera is working properly, it's the software that's misbehaving. Let me know how you get on.

Mick

t04st3d161
Visitor

Thanks for the info, im new to all this HD stuff.

I just copied the files directly from the camera, so im guessing its the de-interlacing issue.

I'll download some software and try convert it as you suggested and post feedback once completed.

On the specs there is no "Progressive Scan(output)". Does this mean I cannot record on the device in 1080p/720p rather than 1080i and I have to convert it with software?

Message was edited by: t04st3d161

Mick2011
New

I don't have a UX10 to hand to check, nor can I see a 720p setting for the camera in the online manual :thinking: – many cameras are et up to only shoot 1080i – sorry if I suggested otherwise. It was simply a way of confirming that the de-interlacing was the problem.

Mick

t04st3d161
Visitor

What software do you recommend to convert to 1080p or 720p once its been recorded in 1080i from the camera?

Mick2011
New

You should be able to de-interlace with pretty much any video editing software.

Have you tried some software and not found an improvement?

Mick