Join now - be part of our community!

HOW CAN I TRANSFER CONTENT FROM MY DCR-TRV355E CAMCORDER TO MY WINDOWS 8 PC

profile.country.en_GB.title
adrian40
Visitor

HOW CAN I TRANSFER CONTENT FROM MY DCR-TRV355E CAMCORDER TO MY WINDOWS 8 PC

Hi

Is it posible to get content from my DCR-TRV355E digital handycam directly to my computer (windows 😎

i have never had any real succes in transfering content to my PCs.

It is still as new but has been taking up room in my wardrobe almost from new (2003) i gave up  through frustration back then , but have now decided to try one more time before giving up completely and getting rid of it. It does not look like Sony supports this cam any longer (support seems to have stopped with XP)

If anynoe could advise i would be most grateful.

PS i hace USB 3 & 2 connections on pc

Message was edited by: adrian40

Tags (2)
4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi adrian40 and welcome.

The original method of transfer was to use the supplied USB cable to a computer with XP installed. Unfortunately, support for USB finished with XP - there are no USB drivers for Vista, Windows 7 or Windows 8 - so transfer by USB is not possible.

Most Vista PCs and several Windows 7 PCs had an iLink (DV/Firewire) connection and for these machines it was possible to transfer video using the DV Out connection on the camera and connecting this to the computer's Firewire port. The free Windows Movie Maker was the best importing software.

Sadly, most recent Windows 7 models and all Windows 8 models do not have a firewire port (or a cardbus slot that can accept a firewire card).

This means that transferring your videos in a digital format is no longer possible. You will need to transfer the video to your Windows 8 computer using the original AV Stereo Cable that was supplied with the camera (3.5mm jack plug to 3 Yellow/Red/White plugs).

You will need to invest in a USB Video capture device and connect the Y/R/W plugs to this. This should allow you to send an analogue signal to the capture device, which will then convert the signal to digital and send this to the USB2 port on your computer.

You will need something like this: -

http://www.amazon.co.uk/EZCAP-TV-116-Converter-Camcorders-Playstation/dp/B006QZ97DY/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UT...

:wink:

Thank you for the information which was, I think, potentially very helpful.    Can I further enquire whether I can use the Sony S output to a ROXIO "easy VHS to DVD 3 plus" converter which does seem to work but is very slow particularly when burning the DVD?   My ultimate aim would be to extract many digital videos and then transfer them to an unused Western Digital Elements external hard drive, hopefully to allow edititing and re-writing to the WD drive.   The Laptop which I would use is loaded with Windows 7 and I would prefer not to have to upgrade it to Windows 8.

I would in the last resort purchase a Laptop with firewire socket if this would be absolutely necessary and if it provided any benefits in either or both speed and reliability

Will the R/Y/W cable also work with the DCR HC51E? I have a windows 10 laptop and am having the same problem, the computer just isn't recognising that the camera is there.

Cathy

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Cathy

Yes, the DCR HC51E was sold with an A/V connecting cable and should work with a USB video capture device.

Just make sure the USB Video capture device supports Windows 10. If you look on Amazon, not all specifically say they are Windows 10 compatible.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=video+capture+device+windows+10

:wink: