Join now - be part of our community!

How do i Change movie format to one windows will 'see'?!?

profile.country.en_GB.title
jonesy102
Visitor

How do i Change movie format to one windows will 'see'?!?

Hello all,  new user so apologies if dumb question.

My father has a HD Handycan and has sent us loads of movies of Xmas, i'd like to put them on DVD to watch on our TV, and have tried to do this using windows DVD maker as i've done this before with Movies off my cybershot.

I'm not so tech savvy but it appears the file type M2TS is not used by windows?!?, is there an easy way to convert to MPEG (i'm familier with this file type from by cybershot!)...i've googled but it just talks about codecs etc which is way above my head.

Or should i just ask my father to save again this time as Mpegs.

many thanks.

3 REPLIES 3
p4ult212
Contributor

Hi,

If you go to the following URL: http://www.koyotesoft.com/indexEn.html

Then, download the following Freeware application: Free HD Converter V1.7

This will allow you to open your ".mts" formatted video files, and convert them to ".avi", or ".mp4" or a host of other formats, all compatible with any device you are aiming the file at..!

As another piece of advice - the media players on many laptops struggle due to technical things called "codecs" that are often missing, and hence, video files may not play, or in some cases you may only hear audio, but not see video.  A very good (also free!) all-round video player is called VLC Media Player (http://www.videolan.org/vlc/) - this will play all known video formats on PC's, as well as DVD's - give that a try too?

Good luck!

Paul :slight_smile:

profile.country.en_BG.title
aisthima
Visitor

M2ts is a standard extension used by all HD camcorders. Actually Windows Media Player 12 supports that format. Many other players also do. For converting the HD videos to a standard definition MPEG2 you can use the supplied with the camcorder software Picture Motion Browser.

jonesy102
Visitor

Perfect!. Many thanks Paul.

regards.