Join now - be part of our community!

How To Insert Date And Time To A Video File

profile.country.en_GB.title
Swimneysweep
Visitor

How To Insert Date And Time To A Video File

Hello Sony Guru's!

Would like to pick some of your brains if you don't mind, have searched through all of the relavent quaetions already posted and found a couple of helpful links that show me how to do it on a photo but not on video footage.

Essentially we need to have the time and date the footage was taken displayed on the footage.  I have adjusted the settings on the camera, and when playing back through the camera time and date can be seen, however when i transfer the files to my PC and view through PMB, time and date are not visible.  Anyone know if this is even possible with my camera? It is a SONY DCR-SR15.

Free chimney sweep for anyone who can help me out.... (as long as you live within a reasonable distance! LOL)

Thanks in advance!

Bryan.

3 REPLIES 3
paulsoumyaj
Visitor

Hallo Guys,

I have same query as Bryan.

have a Sony DCR-SR57. The recording date & time are displayed on the camera LCD screen during playback. However after I save the recorded clip on my computer harddrive, the recording date & time are not displayed when played back on the computer. Can you help me on this?

Thanks in advance.

Paul

blaireau_photo
Visitor

Hello,

One solution that may have worked for a few people in the same situation is to record the video in .mpg format as this particular file type stores the date and time stamp as a seperate data stream within the video file. Once you have this recorded, the three steps are to extract this data file from the video and then convert it into subtitles and add them back to your completed video.

1) Extract Date/Time stamp information from the .mpg file

There appear to be a few software possibilities for this, some freeware and some paid for. One piece of freeware is called infompg and it can be downloaded from here. As you will see, it is a small piece of software with few options but you can specify the video format and you would need to output to dvdt.

2) Convert DVDT file to subtitle file

It appears that a good piece of software for this is called DV Sub Maker and it can be downloaded here. This is also freeware.

3) Add subtitle file to finished video

Once you have your subtitle file extracted, you can then use this with whatever software you normally use to author/create DVD from your recorded videos. If you do not have anything set up, DVDStyler is a piece of handy free software and it can be found here. There is also a help and support forum on this site.

As with any software solution, there will always be alternatives available for each step of the process but hopefully I have given you an idea about the potential steps involved.

Good luck!

Simon

profile.country.NL.title
rtt007

Just download the video files from the camcorder using the Import Media Files Tool from the Sony PMB browser. The Import tool automatically saves the files with names indicating the date-time, example: 20110611160828.m2ts (date 2011-06-11 time 16:08:28).