Join now - be part of our community!

How to use a Sony HDR CX240 as a Webcam for SKYPE

profile.country.IE.title
andy_from_sligo
Explorer

How to use a Sony HDR CX240 as a Webcam for SKYPE

hello , does anyone know how I can plug in my Sony HDR CX240 camcorder and use it as a webcam for SKYPE - it has 3 USB connection modes in the menu settings. 'Auto' 'Mass Storage' and 'MTP' - I am sure if it hasnt got the right USB setting for streaming/using as a webcam that Sony could bring out new firmware that could add an extra setting so that the camcorder could be used as a USB webcam dont you think? 

8 REPLIES 8
profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hello @andy_from_sligo,

simply get the ELGATO Camlink to connect your camcorder to your PC just like a webcam.

- Nic

profile.country.IE.title
andy_from_sligo
Explorer

@IamNicwrote:

Hello @andy_from_sligo,

simply get the ELGATO Camlink to connect your camcorder to your PC just like a webcam.

- Nic

Thanks very much for the reply - i was really interested ... until I checked out the price on that device from amazon - i got no more money to be paying out for that device , 120 pounds for it - I think I will pass, I dont need to use it as a webcam at such a high cost. I am sure Sony could have made this camcorder  webcam compatible ... even going back years ago I had a cheap unbranded chinese (SD Quality 640x480) camcorder that had a setting in its menu to use the camcorder as a webcam and just plugging the USB cable into a windows 7 laptop ... no extra 120pound extra gadget required! 

profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hi @andy_from_sligo,

it looks like you didn't inform yourself about the features of the camcorder before purchasing it.

The camcorder has no inbuild "use as webcam" feature, therefore I linked you the HDMI-capture-card to be able to use the camera as such.

I doubt would be possible to create USB-video-transmission trough a firmware update, therefore I wouldn't bet on this feature coming to your camcorder.

- Nic

profile.country.IE.title
andy_from_sligo
Explorer

@IamNicwrote:

Hi @andy_from_sligo,

it looks like you didn't inform yourself about the features of the camcorder before purchasing it.

The camcorder has no inbuild "use as webcam" feature, therefore I linked you the HDMI-capture-card to be able to use the camera as such.

I doubt would be possible to create USB-video-transmission trough a firmware update, therefore I wouldn't bet on this feature coming to your camcorder.

- Nic

oh I did inform myself as much as I could - all I am saying is that it would be nice to use as a webcam ... but its not a deal breaker. 

So  I am not going to pay over a hundred quid for that HDMI yoke, thats overkill for just enabling my camcorder to be used as a webcam for skype. - I am just wondering if another option would work out cheaper , like buying the optional Sony composite video/audio phono out lead that plugs into the sony multifunction socket. I can get a compatible cable off ebay for about a fiver .. but then I would need a USB capture Dongle to plug into my laptop usb socket , I suppose I could pick up one of them composite phono to usb capture dongles pretty easy on ebay. I know at the end of the day I am not going to be getting High Definition capture (because composite video is on 576i or something isnt it, where HDMi  out on this camcorder would be 1080i) but taking into account 1.8 low light aperture, auto iso and optical focus and zoom and the lens - then hypothetically this should knock my laptop's build in webcam (which is very poor resolution/grainy picture - especially in low light) right out of the water shouldnt it? 

profile.country.DE.title
darkframe
Expert

Hi @andy_from_sligo,

errm, meanwhile I actually do believe that you haven't understood what a camcorder is meant for. Well, it's meant to take movies, no more, no less.

What you are looking for is a "jack of all trades" device, but you've bought a camcorder, no more.

I may sound harsh now but would you please do yourself (and us) a favour and inform you about which cameras can be used for which purpose? You're simply expecting too much of a single camera.

Cheers

darkframe

Wo kämen wir hin, wenn jeder sagte, wo kämen wir hin und keiner ginge, um zu sehen, wohin wir kämen, wenn wir gingen... (© by Kurt Marti)
profile.country.IE.title
andy_from_sligo
Explorer

@darkframe wrote:

Hi @andy_from_sligo,

errm, meanwhile I actually do believe that you haven't understood what a camcorder is meant for. Well, it's meant to take movies, no more, no less.

What you are looking for is a "jack of all trades" device, but you've bought a camcorder, no more.

I may sound harsh now but would you please do yourself (and us) a favour and inform you about which cameras can be used for which purpose? You're simply expecting too much of a single camera.

Cheers

darkframe

I am going to most probably sound harsh now - Yes its a camcorder but I believe technically with the right firmware update, or they could have built the feature into the firmware of the camcorder when manufacturing it , that they could have added webcam/ pc cam feature to this camcorder. 

Last week I bough a cheap car dash cam camera , its a car dash cam. So with your logic its a car dash cam and thats all should be expected of it. Now if I go into settings it says 'drive' - I can select 'Mass Storage' or I can select 'PC Cam' - select PC Cam and plug USB lead into my laptop and voilà! - I can use it as a webcam (unfortunately a poor standard 640x480 resolution because its just a cheap chinese car dashcam) but you see what I mean , now there must be a reason why Sony did not put a setting like this in its menu ? - its never going to be a deal breaker with anyone but it would have just been a nice feature to add

profile.country.GB.title
ojutan
New

it gets much cheaper if you use the FBAS output - most of the HDR camcorders have a cable that splits the output also into FBAS (the yellow coax plug) that does 576i and THAT you can digitize with any 10$ USB  device which is usually taken for digitizing old VHS or Betamax tapes. 

I myself have the HDR CX-690 that can do mini-HDMI life picture or SD analogue TV output. Only thing to overcome is that the camcorder shuts off when not taking recordings for > 15 min... The cam itself can't do more than h.254 compression, where the smallest data rate is 17 Mbit/sec which might be possible to get through the USB2 connector... but there is no firmware that supports it for the older models.

Try a ZasLuke Game Capture Card £5.99 ebay  ,works perfectly .