Join now - be part of our community!

I have a CCD-TRV228E and want to transfer the tape footage to my laptop to edit.There is no firewire connection on the camera can anyone help..school project..do I need to get a cable?

SOLVED
profile.country.en_IE.title
Shaun-12
Visitor

I have a CCD-TRV228E and want to transfer the tape footage to my laptop to edit.There is no firewire connection on the camera can anyone help..school project..do I need to get a cable?

have a CCD-TRV228E and ant to transfer the tape footage to my laptop to edit.There is no firewire connection on the camera can anyone help..school project..do I need to get a cable?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

I think you will need to install driver capture software - the editing software is presumably optional and you can use your existing editing programs.

The link I gave above was for Windows only.  To use it for both Mac and for Windows you will need this model: -

http://www.amazon.co.uk/EASYCAP-USB2-0-Adapter-capture-source/dp/B002PHSXIM/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=ele...

I have not used these (I keep an XP VAIO Desktop computer running XP with analogue video inputs for just this purpose) and this model for PC & MAC does not have great reviews - I suggest you Google for "analogue video capture for PC and Mac" as there are several price bands to choose from.  Only a few appear to support both PC & Mac and are likely to be less good than ones dedicated to a single system.

:thinking:

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

What laptop do you have?  The CCD-TRV228E is an Analogue camcorder and cannot output the video signal in a digital format that most laptops recognise.  Unless your laptop has analogue inputs you will need a converter to digitise the video and connect to the laptop's USB port..

Something like this one: -

http://www.amazon.co.uk/ClimaxDigital-VCAP305-Video-capture-source/dp/B003PSHEY4/ref=pd_cp_ce_2

You will also need a camcorder AV cable but one should have been supplied with the camera - like this: -

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Camcorder-lead-3-5mm-plug-2-0m/dp/B000NVPSMG/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF...

If your laptop has analogue inputs, you just need the AV cable. Alternatively, you could connect the camera to a VCR or DVD Recorder using the AV cable.  Simple editing can be done in the camera and in the recorder.

Good Luck

profile.country.en_IE.title
Shaun-12
Visitor

Hi, Blencogo,

I have a dell studio with visa installed. also an apple mac book pro. I appreciate you knowledge on my original question. yes it is an analog camcorder. I bought it on ebay and didn't realise I would have such a problem dowloading raw footage from the hi 8 tape from this machine, as I have a firewire connection on my other sony digital camcorder. (by the way the digital wont read the tape from the analog) I teach art and am doing video work with some senior students and if the item that you gave me a link to, will allow me to download from the camcorder onto my laptop through a usb port then great. I use a programme on my pc called pinnacle 10 and on the apple I am going to try imovie..will the same connection piece work for both laptops? is it just a matter of connecting and away we go?

Thanks and look forward to any help yu have before I purchase the relevant cable

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

I think you will need to install driver capture software - the editing software is presumably optional and you can use your existing editing programs.

The link I gave above was for Windows only.  To use it for both Mac and for Windows you will need this model: -

http://www.amazon.co.uk/EASYCAP-USB2-0-Adapter-capture-source/dp/B002PHSXIM/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=ele...

I have not used these (I keep an XP VAIO Desktop computer running XP with analogue video inputs for just this purpose) and this model for PC & MAC does not have great reviews - I suggest you Google for "analogue video capture for PC and Mac" as there are several price bands to choose from.  Only a few appear to support both PC & Mac and are likely to be less good than ones dedicated to a single system.

:thinking:

brrobin19
Explorer

Hi,

You don't give the model of your other Camcorder with the firewire input,

does it have any analogue inputs as well, some have an analogue lead

which works as a 'Pass through' converting analogue to Digital. I have 2

camcorders with this facilities and I can convert from all  other tapes or

other inputs to high quality Digital output. Check that your other Camcorder

might have that facility.

You might just be lucky! Hope you are.

Brian