Join now - be part of our community!

Importing from HDR -CX190E to an Imac

profile.country.en_GB.title
Renjiabarai
Visitor

Importing from HDR -CX190E to an Imac

I have a pc and a mac the camera imports fine to the pc but my mac which is why video editing machine wont recognize the format ive tried a couple of converters and they wont work either

Any help would be great

11 REPLIES 11
Mick2011
New

Hi Renjiabarai, welcome to the Sony Forums :slight_smile:

While it's true that the Mac won't natively edit AVCHD files, you don't need to convert them before importing. As odd as this may sound, the Mac will do its own coversion 'on the fly' when you import your videos.

Simply attach the camera using a firewire cable, power on and launch iMovie. You should be able to connect and download by clicking the camera icon in iMovie.

Let me know if this is still not working for you.

Cheers

Mick

Renjiabarai
Visitor

Thanks for the reply theres oen problem the camera doesnt have a fire wire connection only usb

The camera shows up on the Imac but no video editing software i havewill recognise it, it just imports the .mts files

Mick2011
New

The connection type shouldn't matter, as long as you use iMovie it should connect and decode your videos automatically.

It's normal to see .mts files in the Finder, and it's useful to know that the camera is making a proper connection. However you shouldn't need to bother with them if you use iMovie; it should recognise and covert the files as soon as you click the camera icon.

Cheers

Mick

Renjiabarai
Visitor

I have the camera connected but when i click the camera import it goes straight to the uilt in Isight so i try the drop down menu but the camera doesnt show up

blaireau_photo
Visitor

Hello Renijabarai :slight_smile:

Mick2011 is a seasoned Mac user unlike myself, however I just wanted to see if you have taken a look at the instructions here:

http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/topics/videotransfer#btn_DV

This is a support page set up to assist users connect their camera to a Mac computer. In theory, as long as you follow these steps precisely you shouldn't have any trouble.

Thanks,

Simon

Renjiabarai
Visitor

Hi Simon

I have followed the steps in the tutorial but Imovie still does not detect the camera

i want to be using Final cut pro rather than Imovie as its surperior program

The only thing i can think of is that when i connect my camera to my computer it asks if i want to usb connect or disc burn i always pick usb connect

blaireau_photo
Visitor

Hello again Renjiabarai :slight_smile:

I don't think that selecting disc burn would make a difference - is this something that you have already tried?

Also, could you let me know what version of iMovie that you are using.

Thanks,

Simon

Renjiabarai
Visitor

I have tired it but got the same result

My Imovie version is 6.03

Mac osx version is 10.5.8

Mick2011
New

That's an older OS and probably runs iMovie '09 which was a bit fussy with some cameras. If you update to OSX 10.6 (Snow Leopard) you'll get iMovie '11 and (theoretically) fewer import issues.

However, iMovie '09 can be coaxed to connect by setting everything up before you choose your connection method on the camera.

So connect the camera, launch iMovie, and only then choose [USB Connect] on the camera. iMovie should then display your videos automatically.

Cheers

Mick