Join now - be part of our community!

Making a time lapse video

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
harveywetdog
Explorer

Making a time lapse video

I have a Sony HDR CX305E handycam. I want to produce a time lapse movie. I've seen lots of examples on You Tube of time lapse movies that have been shot with a 305 but I can't find a time lapse setting on the camera. Is there one?

If not can this be achieved with PMB or is there a piece of software which extracts the required frames from the video or is it necessary to extract them manually?

Tags (3)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.en_GB.title
Mick2011
New

Hi, welcome to the Sony Forums :slight_smile:

Time lapse, or interval recording as Sony call it, is not available on your camera, according to the Sony spec page: http://www.sony.co.uk/product/cam-high-definition-on-memory-stick/hdr-cx305e/technical-specification...

You alternatives are to buy an intervalometer, which will trigger the camera at set intervals, or use software to achieve a similar effect either by combining individual still frames at 25 frames per second, or simply speeding the video up and exporting that.

You'd have to use something like Premiere or Sony Vegas, or programs such as Photoshop, if you're relying on software. An intervalometer might work out better value, depending how much you use the software.

Cheers

Mick

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.en_GB.title
Mick2011
New

Hi, welcome to the Sony Forums :slight_smile:

Time lapse, or interval recording as Sony call it, is not available on your camera, according to the Sony spec page: http://www.sony.co.uk/product/cam-high-definition-on-memory-stick/hdr-cx305e/technical-specification...

You alternatives are to buy an intervalometer, which will trigger the camera at set intervals, or use software to achieve a similar effect either by combining individual still frames at 25 frames per second, or simply speeding the video up and exporting that.

You'd have to use something like Premiere or Sony Vegas, or programs such as Photoshop, if you're relying on software. An intervalometer might work out better value, depending how much you use the software.

Cheers

Mick

profile.country.GB.title
harveywetdog
Explorer

Thanks Mick

I've gone for an intervalometer from Gentles Ltd.

I already use SERIF software but I think using the intervalometer will allow me to take the shots overs a longer period of time.

Cheers

HWD