Join now - be part of our community!

Memory Recording Unit

profile.country.GB.title
davehampton
New

Memory Recording Unit

I have a Sony Memory Recording Unit with cradle "HVRA-CR1.  I've only used it once about a year ago and purchased a SanDisk 64gb CompactFlash card for its use.  At the time it seemed to work fine.  Now I get a CF "Format Error" message on the Memory Recording Unit screen.  I removed the card and formatted it via a PC, but the error still remains.  The card is essentially brand new since it's only been tried once. I had gotten so used to using DV tapes in my Sony HDR-FX1 camcorder over the years and never turned to the Memory Recording Unit, but now I want to use it.  Any ideas?  Is the unit not compatible with higher capacity cards?  Any help would be appreciated.

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.IT.title
Marino.Manolo
Genius

If it has already been used I think it is not a compatibility problem, but the memory must be formatted by the unit not by PC.

profile.country.NL.title
Strampke
Expert

Just a wild guess.

Imagine the CompactFlash card has the same symptoms as the SD card.

SanDisk 64G SD card can have a  formatting problem.

Try to format it and read the card after that.

It may be that all files and folders are still there.

Read these:

https://forums.sandisk.com/t/format-64gb-micro-sdxc-problem/34820

https://www.diskpart.com/articles/format-64gb-micro-sdxc-problem-4125.html

How do I know?

I have such a stubborn SanDisk 64G SD card.

I suggest that you try it with another CompactFlash card an see how that one behaves.

profile.country.GB.title
davehampton
New

There is no method that I can find for the Memory Recording Unit to format the card.  When you power the unit on with the card inserted, it immediately issues the error message "Format Error" and renders all buttons including the menu inoperative.  I just purchased a 4gb Verbatim Compact Flash card and it would not work either...just issued the same error message.  I have inspected the pins in the unit with a magnifying glass and can see that none of them are bent.  I'm at a loss here.  Any suggestions from anyone who has one of these Sony Memory Recording Units?

profile.country.GB.title
davehampton
New

An update.  I found the instructions regarding how to format the Compact Flash card with the Memory Recording Unit.  I went through the process of formatting with the unit until the menu read "Format Completed."  Then when I select "Menu" the unit flashes "Format Error" again.  This happens with both of the Compact Flash cards I now have. Over and over again.