Join now - be part of our community!

NEX VG10E or the HVR A1E? WHAT AUDIO IS BETTER?

profile.country.en_GB.title
Jnbeckett
Visitor

NEX VG10E or the HVR A1E? WHAT AUDIO IS BETTER?

I am finding it difficult to decide whether to invest in the NEX VG10E video camera or the pro HVR A1E camera? I have heard that the NEX sound quality is poorer and not able to be controlled as much as the HVR A1E?

thank you

Jess

3 REPLIES 3
Mick2011
New

Hi Jnbeckett, welcome to the photo forums!

The sound quality of NEX VG10E cameras is really very good, but I guess if you had a specific application in mind where sound quality was critical, you might be better off with the HVR A1E.

Can you give us an idea what sort of things you intend shooting?

Cheers

Mick

Jnbeckett
Visitor

Hi Mick!

It will be for videographer work such as events and short films, I will occasionally need the mic to do interviews and record atmosphere. Can the NEX have external mics to improve the sound quality much more, for mic packs etc?

I am completely torn between the two, I have fallen for the NEX but worried I am not getting a pro camera

thank you so much

Jess

Mick2011
New

You're probably right in that the HVR is more a pro-videographers camera, while the NEX argualbly has more photographic origins. For example you get more optical choices with the NEX, but while you can use an external mic via mini jack, you can't attach pro-level XLR stuff. If you don't already use XLR mics it might be less of a big deal. Certainly people seem more than happy with NEX audio capture in general; it depends what level you want to take it to or currently need to work at.

I'd say the best thing would be go and get some hands-on time with both, see how they feel. They're quite different to use and that experience is definitely the best way to inform your decision. 

If you're still not sure, you might want to have a browse of Sony’s Videographer forums over at http://www.sony.co.uk/discussions/community/en/pse - you'll get more finely-tuned advice there than you will here on the photography forums.

The main Videographer’s hub is at http://www.sony.co.uk/biz/b2b/business/product/videography? well worth bookmarking for future reference.

Whatever you decide, be sure & let us know how you get on!

Cheers

Mick