Join now - be part of our community!

PMH: date sorting of recording (Play Memories Home)

SOLVED
profile.country.da_DK.title
nigrntv
Visitor

PMH: date sorting of recording (Play Memories Home)

I use PMH to transfer from handycam HDR-XR500VE to PlayMemories Home, but my videos and pictures are then on my PC sorted in folders in order of days from 1 to 30, independently of which month or year it was actually taken. What a mess!!!

How can I change the sorting to Year-Month-date???

Best regards and thanks from Niels.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.en_GB.title
blaireau_photo
Visitor

Hello Niels - Welcome to the Sony Forums :slight_smile:

I have seen this question raised before in the forums, and I think the same advice would apply here:

http://www.sony-europe.com/discussions/message/1220755

At the time, my fellow user Mick2011 suggested using an external piece of software such as Regex to create your own naming system for your video files. In this manner, you will then be able to rename and organise a number of files at the same time, hopefully putting them into an order that is easier for you to navigate through.

Thanks,

Simon

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18
profile.country.en_GB.title
blaireau_photo
Visitor

Hello Niels - Welcome to the Sony Forums :slight_smile:

I have seen this question raised before in the forums, and I think the same advice would apply here:

http://www.sony-europe.com/discussions/message/1220755

At the time, my fellow user Mick2011 suggested using an external piece of software such as Regex to create your own naming system for your video files. In this manner, you will then be able to rename and organise a number of files at the same time, hopefully putting them into an order that is easier for you to navigate through.

Thanks,

Simon

profile.country.de_DE.title
cmosse
Contributor

you can use the "Bulk Rename Utility" to batch change the date format of folders from DD.MM.YYYY to YYYY.MM.DD

All you have to do is to use the "Move/Copy" feature and run the utility two times:

1. move the last 5 digits to the first place

2. move the last 3 digits to the position 5

you can select all folders at once so the whole renaming process will be finished within seconds.

You can download the utility from here:

http://www.bulkrenameutility.co.uk/Main_Intro.php

Message was edited by: cmosse

Message was edited by: cmosse

mehesj
New

I have the same problem!   :angry:

I think its a shame that such a simple and important inquiery can not be solved by the SW PlayMemoriesHome itself ...

I will need to archive and sort my media files from my Notebook by date after a few months/years. It is not a userfriendly solution, and maybe I will do not want to use PMH for further processing/archiving my media files.

:triumph:

This is NOT solved. 'Solved!' How arrogant! Renaming folders yyyy-mm-dd should be an easy update for PMH. Can't believe it's still not done. Shame on you Sony.

Tags (1)
profile.country.GR.title
Alpha.Bravo
Explorer

Ha, ha, ha! Of course it is NOT SOLVED!
Anyway, this is not the solution I was looking for…

profile.country.DE.title
darkframe
Expert

Hi,

are you using a Windows PC? If so, maybe the following helps. Unfortunately I cannot say whether this is valid for MACs too.

Anyhow, I was facing the same problem on my Windows system (German language settings). Therefore my explanation might not completely match the wording on your systems. Whatsoever, here's what I found:

• In PlayMemories check whether in the Import settings you've chosen the option to sort you're videos/images into folders named after the date of recording.
  • That alone will not help as PlayMemories is building folder names according to the "Short Date" setting (or whatsoever it's called on English systems) of your Windows system.
  • Well, on my German Win 10 the respective setting can be found on the "Time and Language" page of Window's settings. On that page, close to the bottom (in my case), there's a link named "Change date and time format". Click onto this link and you'll be presented a new dialogue. There should be an entry named something like "short date". That field should read YYYY-MM-DD if you wish PlayMemories to create folders like 2018-04-09.

That's it.

Hope that this is maybe the solution for you all as well.

Cheers,

darkframe

Wo kämen wir hin, wenn jeder sagte, wo kämen wir hin und keiner ginge, um zu sehen, wohin wir kämen, wenn wir gingen... (© by Kurt Marti)
profile.country.GR.title
Alpha.Bravo
Explorer

Dear darkframe, thank you for your help.

I am sorry for the late reply, but I didn’t notice it until now.

Yes, your suggested workaround worked, but has also changed the date format in all applications, even in the file managers and calendars.

I do not know if I can keep it permanently. Perhaps I will change the date format only when I download new files from the camera and then I will revert it back.

Wish you have a Happy New Year!

profile.country.DE.title
darkframe
Expert

Hi @Alpha.Bravo,

now it's my task to say sorry for the late reply but I was unable to log in for some time.

Glad that I could help you! Obviously I'm not using too many other applications which have suffered from this setting, at least I cannot remember having seen any unwanted side effect (or I've forgotten and/or can live with it).

And yes, have a happy new year as well!

Cheers

darkframe

Wo kämen wir hin, wenn jeder sagte, wo kämen wir hin und keiner ginge, um zu sehen, wohin wir kämen, wenn wir gingen... (© by Kurt Marti)

This was something that was a little thing that bothered me like it was a big thing.

I was manually changing the folders from dd-mm-yyyy to yyyy-mm-dd every time I uploaded new images via SONY PlayMemories software. Then I came across this solution that was both simple & dare I say it elegant.
In windows 10 change the short date format from whatever you have it set to yyyy-mm-dd and hit save or apply.

Thats it, it works.
Danke dir,

DarkFrame