Join now - be part of our community!

Problem transferring MiniDV to PC..

matadorx
Explorer

Problem transferring MiniDV to PC..

I am trying and failing to transfer MiniDV footage to my PC.

I live in the UK.  I have a Windows 8 PC into which a Firewire port has just been installed.  I have a DCR-HC14E Sony Mini DV Camcorder.

When I plug the camcorder (in the PLAYER setting) to the PC via firewire the "Autoplay Dialogue Box" does not appear, nor is there any other acknowledgement of the connection.

On my PC a toolbar "Solve PC issues" tells me that I need to download and install a missing driver for my video camera, which it identifies as a Sony Handycam DCR-30.  It directs me to Sony USA.  I cannot find drivers on either Sony's USA or European sites, besides which Sony support says that I shouldn't need drivers with Windows 8.

Any and all pointers very gratefully appreciated!

1 REPLY 1
profile.country.en_GB.title
pmclaughlin
Explorer

As a work around, try installing the trial version of Sony's Movie Studio 13 program, as it(contains vidcap60.exe and this) should be able to communicate and detect the camera (at least over USB, if not firewire). The vidcap60.exe program file (in C:\Program Files (x86)\Sony\Movie Studio 13.0) can be ran even without launching the entire Movie studio 13 software.

if it works, then you'd need to buy the software to be legally entitled to use the videcap60.exe program within the software.