Join now - be part of our community!

Sony FDR-AX700.No HDR or 2020 Colour Space available on compatible TV

profile.country.GB.title
chasteven
Explorer

Sony FDR-AX700.No HDR or 2020 Colour Space available on compatible TV

I have connected via HDMI to Sony,Samsung(Q9F),Panasonic and LG OLED.The TVs play back in 4K and 24p but none accept the signal in HDR and 2020.The output screen shows that the recordings are in this format .How do I get a 4K HDR TV to support the output in HDR and 2020.Playback of 4K HDR 2020 Blu Ray is fine on all the TVs I have tried.

There is very little to adjust on the playback menu,apart from Auto and a manual selection.I have tried both.

14 REPLIES 14
profile.country.GB.title
Sean_Mc

Hi there,

I'm looking into this and will update the thread when I have an answer. In the meantime, perhaps another member of the community may be able to advise. 

Best wishes,

Sean Mc

profile.country.GB.title
Vanilla_
Contributor

Hi chasteven,

Does this happen with HDR images and video? I've been looking in the Manual of your camcorder and noticed that you can view images recorded with HDR on a TV using a USB cable: https://helpguide.sony.net/cam/1710/v1/en/contents/TP0001492377.html?search=HDR

Also, Do you receive any error messages from the TVs indicating what's wrong with the playback?

Vanilla_

profile.country.GB.title
chasteven
Explorer

The camcorder shows that it is playing HDR and 2020.
The Samsung Q9f treats the signal has UHD and 24pfs but with normal REC
No error message on screen
For some reason it is missing out the HDR and 2020 component
profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hello @chasteven,

please read the comment of @Vanilla_ more careful. 

The Camcorder seemingly has to be connected via micro-USB with your TV and you have to play the HLG files from the Camcorder just if it were a USB-drive with the files on.

Did you try that? 

- Nic

profile.country.GB.title
chasteven
Explorer

profile.country.GB.title
chasteven
Explorer

Thank you for your advise.I have had a friend who is into computers at mine this afternoon and he cannot understand how UHD with HDR and 2020 colourspace can be transmitted to a TV through USB.If you were connecting to a computer that would be different since the computer would have the necessary drivers and programmes on board to interpret the signal.

I have also connected to a Pansonic and LG TV,my 4K projector with the same results as my Samsung Q9F.The units do not recognise the input at all.

On the screen of the camcorder it shows the standard info as though you were connecting to a computer.

As the camcorder and all the sources I have tried are all HDR compatible I cannot understand why the Sony does not send out only part of the signal.At the moment I have UHD 24fps with REC 709.

Whilst I understand what Sony are saying I do not see how to impliment  it.

profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hello @chasteven,

@chasteven  schrieb:

he cannot understand how UHD with HDR and 2020 colourspace can be transmitted to a TV through USB.

your camcorder can be recognized by a TV as storage media - just like if you plug in your USB-stick with video files on it. 

Meaning you should try to let the TV play the files from the camcorder instead of trying to feed it in via HDMI as far as I understand the response from @Vanilla_.

- Nic

profile.country.GB.title
chasteven
Explorer

Would an FDRAX700 owner with an HDR  TV connect via USB and let me know what happens.

Many Thanks