Join now - be part of our community!

Sony HDR-CX240 Handycam Power Bank

profile.country.GB.title
lightsaver5

Sony HDR-CX240 Handycam Power Bank

I normally use my Camcorder (Sony HDR-CX240 Handycam) with the official power supply AC adaptor provided by Sony if I think any filming may be more than 2 hours. Today I tested the recording time (without the power supply AC adaptor connected) and the battery went flat around 2 hours and 3 seconds.

I am wondering if any power bank is available that is suitable for this Camcorder which can charge the battery while the Camcorder is filming as I will not always have access to the mains power.

Many thanks for any replies.

19 REPLIES 19
profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hello @lightsaver5,

there are aftermarket felt-stickers you can put on the microphone to shield it from wind.

- Nic

profile.country.GB.title
lightsaver5

Thanks. I will look into this.

By the way I am no professional cameraman! I will be filming a theatre stage with this small camcorder and a tripod. Is it the norm to zoom in and out and edit the video at home or just leave the camera running in the same position covering the whole stage and part of the audience?

I don't know how professional filming teams work but I guess there are sometimes two or three cameras filming the same scene from different physical directions. I am afraid we don't have the budget for something like this!

profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hello @lightsaver5,

usually you use two (or more cameras).

If you only have two, make one the static camera that has the full stage in view and another closer to the stage to capture details/parts of the performance.

Also the audio is usually recorded from an output of the mixer the audio-guy for the stageplay uses for the speakers in the theater.

Later in editing you sync the cameras all up, use the audio recorded from the mixer as main audiosource and cut back/forth between the cameras as you desire.

- Nic

profile.country.GB.title
lightsaver5

Thanks for letting me know this useful information.

profile.country.GB.title
HannahEd01
Community Team

Hi lightsaver5, what I know is:

-There's no larger battery for this camera.

-Using a power bank can work in theory, but it's not guaranteed by Sony.

-It doesn't matter anyway knowing the above to use a Son power bank or not.

-Pro video recording will require more than one camera, but with few editing tricks you can do it. (Like shooting from different angles then editing)

profile.country.GB.title
lightsaver5

Many thanks for your reply.

If I manage to find a new backup battery (i.e. a Lithium Ion NP-BX1) I will buy one and charge it beforehand just in case there is a major problem on the day of the performance. I will also take my mobile phone should something go horribly wrong.

I did some moderate testing of the power bank linked to the camcorder but I will do more.

I will only have this single camcorder on the day so that is it. In terms of actually recording on a previous event I just left the camcorder in the same place on a tripod and ran it. On another recording I used the zoom to go forwards and backwards from the stage, which while this is not professional at all in terms of output, nevertheless seemed to work in the sense of getting close to the performer and better seeing their acting and facial expressions.

It's quite clear that there is a big difference between hiring a professional camera person and me but this will not be a big budget event.

profile.country.GB.title
HannahEd01
Community Team

Hey lightsaver5, that's totally okay, recently I discovered that a YouTuber I'm following uses one camera but shoots the session from different angles. ie: shoot the beginning, pause, move the camera and change the zoom then shoo another etc.. Good luck. ^^

profile.country.GB.title
lightsaver5

Well yes we can definitely pick up many tips from YouTube.

I have a video of this same performer with a professional camera team with multiple cameras and background  monitors, sound and light etc. and it's really the only one that gives justice to the quality of the performer's work.

Hopefully in the future some bright spark will come up with a great technological idea to integrate this process for amateur camera operators.

profile.country.GB.title
HannahEd01
Community Team

I really appreciate the good spirit lightsaver5, keep it up!

profile.country.GB.title
lightsaver5

Thanks. I will definitely try to! 🙂