Join now - be part of our community!

Steady shot set to active but does not appear to be working on FDR AX700.

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
maple123
Explorer

Steady shot set to active but does not appear to be working on FDR AX700.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
maple123
Explorer

Hi Mick,

Many thanks for replying to my post.

I have only had the camcorder for a few days and from viewing footage taken when I have been videoing and walking it does not looks as steady as I expected. Before buying it I viewed lots of youtube videos posted from existing users including one from someone who demonstrated how the steadyshot feature worked by showing the lens of the camera apparently moving in a gyroscope. My initial thought was that perhaps the lens has got stuck or the gyroscope was 'turned off' somehow.

Other that this problem I am very impressed with the quality of the recordings and cannot wait to try out some of the other features. 

View solution in original post

profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hello @maple123,

if your handheld shots look similar to this video of mine

then the SteadyShot works as expected.

It seems to only be lens based optical stabilization, which is not as strong as the  B.O.SS. (where the sensor assembly moves as well), which some consumer camcorders have.

For prosumer Camcorders (like the FDR AX700) this is undesirable, since with BOSS the sensor can't be locked into place, which can have some undesirable effects.

- Nic

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.GB.title
Mick_D

Hi @maple123, welcome to the Community.

Could you give us some more info here? What makes you suspect the SteadyShot isn't working?

Thanks
Mick

profile.country.GB.title
maple123
Explorer

Hi Mick,

Many thanks for replying to my post.

I have only had the camcorder for a few days and from viewing footage taken when I have been videoing and walking it does not looks as steady as I expected. Before buying it I viewed lots of youtube videos posted from existing users including one from someone who demonstrated how the steadyshot feature worked by showing the lens of the camera apparently moving in a gyroscope. My initial thought was that perhaps the lens has got stuck or the gyroscope was 'turned off' somehow.

Other that this problem I am very impressed with the quality of the recordings and cannot wait to try out some of the other features. 

profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hello @maple123,

if your handheld shots look similar to this video of mine

then the SteadyShot works as expected.

It seems to only be lens based optical stabilization, which is not as strong as the  B.O.SS. (where the sensor assembly moves as well), which some consumer camcorders have.

For prosumer Camcorders (like the FDR AX700) this is undesirable, since with BOSS the sensor can't be locked into place, which can have some undesirable effects.

- Nic

profile.country.GB.title
maple123
Explorer

Eureka, Thanks to the helpful advice I have received here from Nic and others I have now realised that the videos I watched that appeared to show a movable lens was actually about the FDR AX53 and not the FDR AX700. I didn't realise that Sony had different hinds of stabilisation for different cameras. 

Now I know that the AX700 lens in not supposed to move I can press on with learning about the other things it can do.

Thank you for your help