Join now - be part of our community!

Transfer video from dcr-trv510e to Windows 10 pc

profile.country.GB.title
Meglersmekk
Explorer

Transfer video from dcr-trv510e to Windows 10 pc

I found my old video-camera (DCR-TRV510E) and wanted to transfer my HI8 tapes to my PC.  Last time I did this was on a computer with windows 7, firewire port, and pinnacle studio or Microsoft Movie Maker installed.  Today I have new PC with windows 10, no firewire port and no video capture software.  I have now boght a PCIe card with Firewire ports (STLab F-216 1394a).  The cards seems to install fine as I can see it in device manager, and it reports there that the driver is up to date.

BUT, What kind of software can I use to capture my videos?

I have now tried:

- Sony Play Memories Home (Seems like it doesn't support firewire, only usb(?))

- Old version of Pinnacle studio (doesn't install)

- Old version of Windows Movie Maker ("Import from device" does not see the video cam)

- Exsate DV Capture Live (Does not see the video camera connected to the firewire port)

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.GB.title
Pascale_F

Hi Meglersmekk, 

Welcome to the Community. 

It's best to get in touch with Sony Support about this for further advice.

Thanks,

Pascale

profile.country.GB.title
Meglersmekk
Explorer

Thank you Pascale.  I have now registred a case with support. 

I see others have had similar problems, so I am really curious what the solution is.

profile.country.DE.title
darkframe
Expert

Hi @Meglersmekk,

in the meantime you might give this really old programme a try (last version from 2010). It is still working on my Win 10 PC and it's freeware meanwhile (licence key included in the ZIP file).

As the programme does not need any installation you do not need to be afraid that it probably could ruin your system. Simply unzip to a folder of your desire and run it. For full functionality you'll need to copy the licence key from the provided text file to the programme (the exact procedure is described in the text file).

My recommendation: Once it's working have a first try with a few minutes only. The programme allows for two different AVI versions. You'll need to find out which one will be working on your PC. I'm afraid that you'll need some kind of video editing software still in order to convert those DV-AVI files to something like MP4 or so.

Cheers

darkframe

Wo kämen wir hin, wenn jeder sagte, wo kämen wir hin und keiner ginge, um zu sehen, wohin wir kämen, wenn wir gingen... (© by Kurt Marti)
profile.country.GB.title
Meglersmekk
Explorer

Thank you for your response darkframe.

I have now tried ScenalyzerLive too, but that will not work for me either.

Have you tried it lately?  Which camcorder and which version of windows 10 are you using?

My setup is an up to date windows 10 Pro, with Sony DCR-TRV510e, and it is not working.

In the meantime I have gotten a respond from Sony.  And they say that since my camera is not listed here:

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/articles/00124441 

it is no longer supported in windows 10 and it will not work!!!

So I guess my only option is to deliver all my tapes to a photo-shop which does such jobs.... 

Or does anybody have a different idea?

profile.country.DE.title
darkframe
Expert

Hi @Meglersmekk,

@Meglersmekk  schrieb:

I have now tried ScenalyzerLive too, but that will not work for me either.

Have you tried it lately?  Which camcorder and which version of windows 10 are you using?

My setup is an up to date windows 10 Pro, with Sony DCR-TRV510e, and it is not working.

I actually haven't used Scenalyzer for about a year or so. I did successfully copy a few last tapes with it sometime in 2018. The camera is a DCR-TRV310E and the copying process worked well on a Win 10 Pro PC. Well, I presently cannot say whether it still would work as I've not tested it since then. There have been some major Win 10 updates meanwhile so I do not dare betting on it.

@Meglersmekk  schrieb:

In the meantime I have gotten a respond from Sony.  And they say that since my camera is not listed here:

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/articles/00124441 

it is no longer supported in windows 10 and it will not work!!!

Yes, that's right, but that list only talks about the USB connection and in fact there's no more support for USB drivers for your (and my) TRV camera. The USB port of your camera was never able to transfer videos anyhow. Regarding the connection via Firewire/i.Link that list is useless as Firewire is a different beast. Unfortunately Microsoft stopped supporting Firewire in Win 10 which is causing quite some trouble.

If you have a Firewire card with drivers which support Win 10 you still might be in trouble as sometimes capturing software will not detect the camera still. In that case you'll likely need an older driver (more later).

Important for most software capturing via Firewire is that you follow this sequence:

1. Switch off the camera (!)
  2. Connect camera to PC by means of the Firewire/i.Link cable
  3. Switch on camera
  4. Start capturing software

Sometimes, depending on the software, you need to switch steps 3 and 4, i.e., first start the software and then switch on the camera.

If that doesn't help, in the device manger check which driver is installed. Programmes like Scenalyzer often do look for something like a "Legacy" (or "old") driver. In my case there's a "VIA 1394-controller conforming to OHCI" (translated from German) which did work for me at least last year.

Some people have stated that this Microsoft driver for Win 8 and Win 8.1 worked well as well in Win 10 but I do not know as I've not installed it. May be worth a try. It should at least add an OHCI driver.

Finally: It can be rather important that you are using the cable which was delivered with the camera as other cables might have a different number and arrangement of connectors.

Hopefully anything of what I've said will help you further.

Cheers

darkframe

Wo kämen wir hin, wenn jeder sagte, wo kämen wir hin und keiner ginge, um zu sehen, wohin wir kämen, wenn wir gingen... (© by Kurt Marti)