Join now - be part of our community!

Transferring HDV mini dv tape footage to computer

profile.country.GB.title
CharllyFF
New

Transferring HDV mini dv tape footage to computer

Hi 

I've been trying to solve a problem for ages but still struggling.

My old Sony HDR-HC3 HDV 1080i miniDV is broken. The screen went first but I was still able to play and transfer fooatge over to computer then it completely went and I can no longer close the tape part.

I am still tying to see if its possible (and worth it ) to get it fixed. Most of the places I've tried simply don't fix cameras any more. Most people have recomended I simply buy a second hand camera so I can just feed my tapes on to harddirves etc. However I'm finding that even tricky as most of my tapes were recorded on this camera in HDV and I can't tell if the ones I look at on ebay etc will actually play them back I write to the seller and either dont get a response or they dont know if they do answer. I have over 110 (at least) tapes to trasfer. It will be a long project to finally be able to edit this footage but if I could at least transfer it over it will be a start. You can't seem to buy any tape cameras anymore exsept the very exspensive proffesional ones. I dont need the use of a camera as I have another that takes SD cards. I just simply want to transfer the footage so I can finally edit it. Does anyone know of anything I havent already tried yet or could recomned as I'm not very tec savy any info most welcome. Ive been givien a number I believe fir sony tec which I will call on Monday but the guy said they may not repair my camera as it is quiet an old module. Many thanks 

1 REPLY 1
profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hello @CharllyFF,

if your camcorder, which you recorded the tapes with doesn't work anymore and you are uncertain where to find a compatible camcorder to instead play the tapes with, I would suggest it might be best to get in contact with a service, which converts the tapes for you.

A friends dad had done the same with his VHS-tapes and he was very satisfied with the work done. 

Also if you factor in the time it need to convert each and every tape, it might still be better than doing it yourself.

If you find a working camcorder to play your tapes with and you want to convert them yourself, I would recommend the Magix "rescue your videotapes" software which comes with a video grabber.

- Nic