Join now - be part of our community!

VCR to DCR-HC30 to PC via firelink help needed

profile.country.GB.title
rustyg
Explorer

VCR to DCR-HC30 to PC via firelink help needed

hi folks, did this about 6 yrs ago so i know that it works but can't remember/get it going now

VCR into DCR-HC30 using the a/v slot then DV/firewire from (DCR-HC30) to PC (firewire slot)

win 7 on PC, it see's the fire wire card (and I can install a second firewire card ok) but nothing happens when i connect to the handycam

i've got windv software on pc but it can't see the handycam

think the software i used 6yrs ago was Sony Vegas or Pinnacle or Ulead stuff

I've set the AV-DV to OUT, but I sure when i did it 6 yrs ago I had to set something else in the Handycam menu (but I cant remember)

any help out there please

tried just the VCR to PC using easycap and the video is poor and jumpy, 

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.IT.title
Marino.Manolo
Genius

Normally when using FireWire there is one device that needs to play and another that needs to record then Play one Rec the other.
Could it be that 6 years ago you first recorded in the camcorder and then transferred to the computer?

profile.country.GB.title
rustyg
Explorer

no, 6 yrs ago it was as I said, VCR to sony Handycam (DCR-HC30) then connected to PC

think i may have sorted it (hopefully) 

tried the firewire port on pc (front) handycam not picked up, fitted a firewire card, card picked up but not the handycam, found a hidden firewire port on back of pc (well hidden if you are tii vain to get your eyes tested or wear glasses)

plugged handycam in back port, pc picked up handycam, but no video on screen, looks like i need a new scart connector (type you plug the audio/video jacks into) needs to be scart OUT not IN, or connectors for the jack plugs 

hopefully photos show what i mean, scart 2.JPGscart.JPG

profile.country.GB.title
HannahEd01
Community Team

Hey rustyg, what are you aiming to do with this connection? Transferring stuff?  

profile.country.GB.title
rustyg
Explorer

yes transfer old VHS tapes in a VCR though old sony handycam on to pc

managed to sort out the firewire conncetions now

but trouble is i have pinnacle studio as software and a 3hr vcr tape is about 40gb on the hard drive

did try virualdub & virturaldub 2 was only 5gbon hard drive but picture was awful

profile.country.GB.title
HannahEd01
Community Team

Hey there, the procedure I know uses Play Memories Home or Windows Live Photo Gallery: https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/articles/00172974