Join now - be part of our community!

What cable do I need to buy to connect my sony Handycam Hi8 to my laptop

profile.country.en_GB.title
ticonno18
New

What cable do I need to buy to connect my sony Handycam Hi8 to my laptop

I have a Sony Handycam Hi8 trv59E model which I have had for years now. I would like to transfer the tape recordings to my laptop in order that I can then put the films onto a DVD. I have a Toshiba laptop computer. I was checking YouTube and there was a guy using a device called a Dazzle USB capture device. 

my camcorder came with a yellow and black cable with a miniplug on the end (which came with the camcorder) 

What I would like to know is would a USB capture device work with my camcorder and where could I purchase one and does the software come with the device. Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated as I am going to Italy in October for a holiday and want to be able to get film onto DVD when I get back. thanks.

Tina

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Tina and welcome to the Sony Users Community.

The cable you already have will do but you will need a USB Video Capture device to convert the signal to a digital format that your PC can import.

TRV49E.jpg

The Yellow plug carries the composite video signal and the Black plug carries sound.  The sound is mono (black) but most Video Capture Devices will have Yellow (for video), Red and White for stereo sound - so you need to connect the black plug to either the red or the white input on the Video Capture Device.

There are lots of USB Video Capture Devices from £5 to £250 and you will need to find one with software included that fits your budget.

If you search for 'USB Video Capture' into a website like Amazon you will be given a wide choice.

For up to £25 you will get something like this one that comes with Arcsoft ShowBiz 3.5 software that covers you for capture, editing and burning to DVD: -

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Camcorders-Recorder-Satellite-playstation3-software/dp/B003D8VQIG/ref=sr_1_7...

The Dazzle devices are a bit more expensive - from £35 to £75.  There are several models like this one: -

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Avid-Technology-Inc-8230-10063-81-Pinnacle/dp/B00191BHQ0/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8...

These include Pinnacle Sortware for editing or burning to DVD.

You can buy from online stores like Amazon or from a Computer Shop or an electronics shop like Maplin.

EDIT:  Not many of these devices work out-of-the-box with Windows 8.

:wink:

slnprasad
New

Dear Sir/madam

I have Sony Handycam Model Digital 8 DCR-TRV280 .I have to treansfer my vedios captured in the tape to my desktop having Windows 7 SP 1. I have only cable which has only one pin plug at one end and red, white yellow plugs on the other side. Please help me how to copy and which cable and software is needed and from where I can purchase. I stay in Bangalore.

Prasad.sln

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Your camcorder should have a firewire connection. Of also your pc support it (not many nowdays) a firewire cable should do the job with no driver needed