Meet our photo competition winner

profile.country.DE.title
Peter_S.
Genius
1,126  Views

1st.jpgRead our interview and find out all about our latest winner and get his photography tips:

When did you first try photography and what camera did you use?

I first started to get into photography at around the age of 55. I trained at the Gerrit Rietveld Academie for fine arts and design. Following an accident, I was no longer able to create large-scale pieces so I started looking for other creative outlets; I became interested in digital art and photography. I started out with a Nikon camera, which I used until I won a Sony α7. Essentially I photograph whatever brings me joy, but portraits and macro photography are my preferred forms of visual expression. Everything I know about photography I taught myself, simply by doing what comes naturally. I also enjoy photographing something exactly as I see it, and really don't consider how it's supposed to be done according to the rules of photography.

I've also completed various large projects and put on my own exhibition in Mexico, featuring a combination of photography and digital art. I'm now 66, and photography has become a part of my life. I'm always out and about with my camera.

How did you feel when you were told you had won the competition? 

As you might expect, I was thrilled when I heard that I'd won first prize. In all honesty, I'd sort of given up hope of winning once I saw the amazing photos taken by the other nominees.

Tell us a bit more about the inspiration behind the shot. 

The photo came about when I was playing around with some creative options. I'd fitted my lens with a transparent film coated in Vaseline. I'd only covered the middle of the lens; the focal point was clear. I made a nice round hole in the film. The sun was pretty bright, but with the right settings I was able to create the dream-like image.

What equipment and accessories did you use to take the frame? Did you process the image after shooting? 

I took the photo using the Sony α7 with the 70–200 mm lens. In Photoshop, I made the colour a bit sharper and cropped the photo slightly.

Can you share some tips that could help other photographers to create winning photos?

My tip is: photograph what your eye sees and take a good look through the viewfinder. Make up your own photographic rules, but make sure the composition is good and dare to be different. Photography is about creating an image of how you see or experience a situation.

1 Comment