Join now - be part of our community!

Birds in flight

profile.country.GB.title
Paul-G
New

Birds in flight

Hi

I wonder if anyone can offer advice regarding photographing birds in flight with my RX10iv. 

With a bird moving slowly and filling a good part of the viewfinder focusing is not a problem, but if the bird is moving fast and at some distance, taking up only a small section of the viewfinder, I lose the bird as the AF moves in and out searching for the object. The bird has now disappeared.

What focus settings might help to overcome this problem?

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.NL.title
Strampke
Expert

Maybe contiuous shooting is helpfull in such a situation.

profile.country.GB.title
daveyh64
Contributor

I suspect most of the time the birds you are trying to take photographs are far from the camera and are at the Infinity distance of the lens. Therefore it is best to come out of auto focus as it will struggle to find a point of interest with fast moving subjects. With the camera in manual focus, set the lens to infinity, because it is set to infinity then there is no need to use a small aperture for maximum depth of field and a higher shutter speed to capture the action, remember to select a higher 'film' speed for action photography.

There is also something called hyperfocal distance which if the lens on your camera has the markers can help you to set the maximum depth of field for a chosen aperture, read here, hyperfocal distance.

Using the camera in manual modes or Shutter or Aperture priority modes will help you understand your camera and photography better. Auto modes can be useful at times but should not be relied upon, especially auto focus, you do not need it for distant subjects.

Always make a mental picture of the shot you are looking for and then you can decide which are the best settings on the camera to apply for this shot, you can then concentrate on selecting the best vantage point and monitoring the birds behaviour to see where the best combo of viewpoint and camera setting may get you 'that' shot.

Be very patient.

Digital photography is great because you are not constrained by having only a certain amount of frames

as with a roll of film but it is quite a good discipline to shoot as if you only have a certain amount of frames

to shoot with, this will allow you to refine your technical proficiency and improve your intuition for predicting

the best shots. Too often people go machine gunning a scene/ subject or event and come back with images that have no artistic or meaningful merit and spend hours and hours having to edit and reject without learning anything.