Join now - be part of our community!

Camera shake icon

profile.country.GB.title
Jules107
Explorer

Camera shake icon

I have just purchased the HX90, and the camers shake warning icon is blinking all the time, even when I set the camera down on the table.  Is this normal or a fault?  I only purchased it yesterday, so still under the 14 day return policy. 

10 REPLIES 10
profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

Hi @Jules107 and welcome to the Community :slight_smile:

I haven't used that model but that doesn't sound right.

Have you tried a reset on the camera?

1. MENU(Setup) → [Setting Reset] → desired setting.

Menu item details

Camera Settings Reset:
Initializes the main shooting settings to the default settings.

Initialize:
Initializes all the settings to the default settings.

Note

• Be sure not to eject the battery pack while resetting.
  • When you perform [Initialize], downloaded applications on the product may be uninstalled. To use these applications again, re-install them.

Hope this helps.

profile.country.GB.title
Jules107
Explorer

Hello.  Yes, I tried reset, didn't make any difference.

I have noticed that it is fine when using without zooming the lens.  I like the camera otherwise.

Julie

profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

Hi again

Thanks for getting back to me.:)

Can I just check that the camera shake icon isn't only flashing during the physical motion of zooming, or is it when you have zoomed in to a required level and are trying to take a photo and then the icon flashes?

cheers

profile.country.GB.title
Jules107
Explorer

Hello.  Just trying it again, it flashes even when the camera is steady and the shot is composed.  I will try to take a photo with my phone.  Not sure if the actual photos are affected, but it is a bit annoying. This is the screen now, the camera is sitting on the kitchen table, icon is flashing

DSC_0542.JPG

profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

Hi @Jules107 :slight_smile:

Apologies for the late response, I've been out all day.

Thanks for posting the pic.

Yeah  - sadly I think its time for a refund / exchange.

Keep us posted :slight_smile:

profile.country.GB.title
Mick_D

Hi Jules, just wanted to check one thing before you return the camera: does the icon disappear if you shoot outside in good light?

A common misconception is that the 'camera shake' icon is motion sensor-related, whereas in fact the system is only alerting you to the likelihood that you will be shooting with a slow shutter speed, so a tripod or other support may be advisable to avoid blurring.

It's especially likely to flash up when the lens is zoomed in, even using fairly high shutter speeds, as camera shake becomes more likely than at wide lens settings. Bright shooting conditions (or a higher ISO setting) should stop the icon showing up.

Of course it may indeed be a fault, but it's worth checking out first! :nerd:

Best wishes

Mick

profile.country.GB.title
Jules107
Explorer

Thank you for reply.  I will have to test it in good light, which looking at the weather forecast may not be for a few days!  If I do decide to exchange the camera, do I write/send it back to Sony, or Amazon?  If Sony where?  I did send them an email when I first had the problem, but no response.  They seem a difficult company to get in touch with.

Thanks Julie

profile.country.GB.title
Jules107
Explorer

Thanks for reply

I will try Mick's idea of the light, if not I will try to get a new one.  I will let everyone know.

Julie

profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

Thanks for the idea @Mick_D  :slight_smile:

Hi Julie

Just general daylight will do or a very well lit room etc.

I would test it very quickly though in case you are still within the 14 day return policy.

If the test doesn't go well then I would firstly approach Amazon as they are the retailer.

You could contact Sony but if its a fault then its a fault and phone calls probably won't help.

Alot of companies tell you to get in touch with whichever Electronic company made an item

but the retailer should always be the first port of call if something is faulty.