Join now - be part of our community!

DSC-HX60 - Dark Images

profile.country.GB.title
kellygriffin
Explorer

DSC-HX60 - Dark Images

Hello,

I have a Cyber-shot DSC-HX60, and all of my images come out very dark, no mater what the light conditions are. I have tried to figure out what the issue might be, and trouble shot using the manual, but nothing I try works. I am having to edit all of my images manually to ligten them. Does anyone have any idea how to solve this problem,

Thanks

12 REPLIES 12
profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hello @kellygriffin,

which mode do you shoot in and what are your current settings (e.g. exposure, ISO...)

- Nic

profile.country.GB.title
kellygriffin
Explorer

Hello Nic @IamNic,

Many thanks for you response. I am not great with the technical side of photography, but think I have the mode "Intelligent Auto", with the exposure set at 0, and the ISO is set at "ISO AUTO".

Do you have any ideas on what I should do? Is a change of settings required. For your information, I photograph inanimate objects, normally on a white or black background, in natural light.

Regards

Kelly

profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hi @kellygriffin,

the three dots inside the bracket were meant as "other".

It would be very helpful, if you would add your other settings (aperture, exposure time) as well.

- Nic

profile.country.GB.title
kellygriffin
Explorer

@IamNic,

I am sorry to be a complete idiot, but where do I look to find these settings? Every other camera I have had was pretty simple to set up, then just point and shoot, so this is all new to me.

Thanks

Kelly

profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hi @kellygriffin,

normally "Disp" shows the settings the camera is currently using.

- Nic

profile.country.GB.title
kellygriffin
Explorer

@IamNic

Hello,

This is an image of my current display screen, can you suggest any settings that may need changing, that would help the images to come out lighter?

Many thanks,

Kelly

IMG_3757.JPG

profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hi there @kellygriffin,

sorry for the late response.

Unless the lighting around the object you are trying to photograph is very bad, I would be surprised, if the image cam out too dark with these settings.

Your aperture is opened wide enough (F3.5), you expose the image long enough (1/6th of a second) and the ISO is also set to a medium high value, which ensures your image doesn't get digital grain yet.

Would you mind to upload a few images to your next reply, which in your opinion cam out too dark?

Also I would like to know where you view the images (on the cameras display/tablet/PC/MAC), since at least for the camera and a tablet/smartphone it could be, that the screen brightness is set too low.

- Nic

profile.country.GB.title
kellygriffin
Explorer

Hello @IamNic

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you, as I was away from home for a few days.

I am viewing my images on a PC monitor, and other images that I view online are not dark, so it isn't the brightness settings.

Please find imges, to first one has been edited to lighten, the second is the original image as taken. As you can see it comes out very dark, and I need it to be closer to the edited version. Do you have any suggestions? 

Regards

Kelly

Same Image taken, but lightened using a editing tool.Same Image taken, but lightened using a editing tool.Original image taken with current settingsOriginal image taken with current settings

profile.country.GB.title
kellygriffin
Explorer

@IamNic

This is an image of the same item taken with my old camera (which old works intermittently, hense buying the DSC-HX60) and as you can see this is much lighter with no need for editing.

This is an image of the same item, taken with my old camera.This is an image of the same item, taken with my old camera.