Join now - be part of our community!

DSC-HX9V Issues

SOLVED
profile.country.IE.title
AegriSomnia
Explorer

DSC-HX9V Issues

Hi all, hopefully someone can help me! I have tried submitting this via the online support section but keep getting the "Sorry, there was an error with your submission" message :angry:

A week ago I bought a Sony DSC-HX9V Cybershot camera and it was working fine without any issues until today.

I turned on the camera and noticed excessive noise, blur and colour bleeding on the LCD viewfinder. It seemed to be more severe indoors, but it is still definitely noticeable outdoors.
The colour bleed doesn't seem to occur in the pictures themselves once processing has been applied but the noise is present, which rules out it being a problem just with the LCD screen.
The blur doesn't occur on the pictures, as it disappears during the auto focus when the button is half-depressed. However there was never any blur on the screen before.
The camera also appears to be operating slower than usual; it can take a second or two to react from a button being pressed, as well as noticeable stutter when panning. On top of this, the modes Intelligent Auto and Superior Auto are no longer identifying scenes correctly. I tested this taking pictures out the window, which both modes had previously (correctly) categorised as Landscape, but was now categorising as Backlight, Portrait etc.
Also, I purchased a 32GB Sony Memory Stick PRO-HG Duo HX specifically for use with the camera due to its high capacity and (supposed) compatibility. I put it into the camera and formatted it. But when I went to use the camera I constantly got the message "This memory card may not be able to record or play images correctly." I got this message before when I was using the memory card from my PSP but I figured that was to do with it being formatted for PSP use.
I have tried resetting the camera through the Initialise function but it had no effect. The camera hasn't been subjected to extreme hot or cold, dropped or shaken or exposed to water. I can't understand how it could happen literally overnight.
Hopefully someone has an idea what to do! :thinking:
Tags (2)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.en_GB.title
Mick2011
New

Glad you found a card that works... hope the vendor does the decent thing too!

There's no need to click through the dropdown options. Assuming you're using the 'Register my Repair' service, when you get to 'My product' your camera Model No. should already be displayed. Click the 'select' link next to that field twice and you should then see your model in the scrolling list and be able to click thru to the next page using the Next>> link.

If you still have problems, let me know and I'll find you another link to follow.

Cheers

Mick

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Mick2011
New

Hi AegriSomnia, weclome to the Sony Forums

I'm unsure as to the cause of your colour bleeding LCD, but I am pretty sure you have a fake Sony Memory Stick. The slow performance and error message are well-documented issues related to pirated Sony cards; see this eBay article for example.

I could be wrong of course... if you can be sure you have a genuine card and still have the problems you describe, we can begin to look at your problems being related to the camera itself.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news :slight_frown:

Best wishes

Mick

profile.country.IE.title
AegriSomnia
Explorer

Hi Mick, many thanks for the reply.

I read through that article and now I'm not so sure about my Memory Card, as I got mine off eBay too! The seller in question seemed reputable, 100% feedback from over 100 people etc.

I've taken some shots comparing some of my sticks (taken with my phone!). One is a 32MB that came with my PSP, one is a 2GB that I bought a few years ago, and the last is the card in question, the 32GB. Hopefully someone can tell if it's fake or not.

http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/6682/20110910121150.jpg The card on its own. Looked ok when I got it, I had never seen a Pro-HG HX before so I wasn't sure.

http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/6358/20110910121253.jpg The 32GB next to the 2GB. The texture of both cards is definitely different, there is a more matte effect on the 2GB. Also the plastic "rim" on the left hand side of the 32GB is slightly thinner, as well as there being 2 semi-circular dimples on the right hand side (there are two on the 2GB as well but the top one is covered).

http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/9378/20110910122058.jpg The 3 cards together.

http://img813.imageshack.us/img813/282/20110910122119.jpg The 3 cards again, face down. The size of the connectors on the 32GB is bigger than on the other two, but again I was wondering if this was due to the different series/increased capacity.

Each card also has the etching on it:

32MB:  PSP-M32  F409S6B  COMPLIES CANADA  ICES/NMB-003.  MADE IN JAPAN

2GB:  MSX-M2GN  F418Z1B  COMPLIES CANADA  ICES/NMB-003. MADE IN JAPAN

32GB:  MS-HX32A  H902L1L  DUDH20SS000  MADE IN KOREA

Also the 32GB has a large CE. I checked the capacity of the blank 32GB on my PS3 and it said "30GB Free" which is about right.

The colour bleed etc. happened around the same time I started using the new memory card into it so I wonder if that has anything to do with it. Although even with no memory card in it the problems I mentioned in the first post are still present.

I bought the camera online (not from eBay but from a large electronics retailer) and they keep telling me to get in contact with Sony. But the online support form is bugged, and there's no phone number to ring from Ireland. I've been redirected in circles with the UK Sony support numbers so I've gotten in contact with the seller again to see if it's possible to get a replacement, still waiting on a reply. The camera's barely a week old so I don't see why this should be a problem. Apparently it is though!

Mick2011
New

I don't really have any experience of counterfeit cards but I would strongly suggest you get hold of a reliable genuine Memory Stick to see if this cures any or all of your problems. It's not impossible you do have a genuine card and the issues are actually with the camera itself.

Maybe a local high street retailer might be prepared to let you try a card from one of their demo cameras...? Or perhaps you already know your 2gb one to be genuine? If that fixes even the performance issue it could save you quite a bit of time troubleshooting.

Sorry to hear you're having problems with online support; they're normally pretty good. Just to be sure, the page you need is here:

http://support.sony-europe.com/dime/digistill/cyber/cyber.aspx?site=odw_en_GB&m=DSC-HX9V

Good luck

Mick

profile.country.IE.title
AegriSomnia
Explorer

Well I went and bought what I knew to be a genuine one; it was in proper Sony packaging, usual warranty details etc. inside. Slightly more expensive but worth it. Fit into the camera a lot easier, formatted twice as quick and I now don't get the error message every time I take a photo.

The texture of the card feels different, the text on the front of the card is semi-reflective, the connecters are shinier, the etching is much clearer (although it actually is Made in Korea) and the etching itself is different;

MS-HX32B  FAO1L1L  AUUK10SS000

Also the amount of pictures that can be taken changed downward by about 50. I've gotten in contact with the seller of the first card, hopefully to get a refund.

So that's the card sorted, but the camera's issues are still there. I'm waiting on the seller to get back to me in that regard, should hopefully be hearing back from them today. I tried the Sony online support again but it still wasn't working. Once I select Product -> DSLR -> Cybershot, the dropdown menu for Category changes to "No value" and then every time I try to submit my report I just get an error message. Thanks anyway for the link.

Mick2011
New

Glad you found a card that works... hope the vendor does the decent thing too!

There's no need to click through the dropdown options. Assuming you're using the 'Register my Repair' service, when you get to 'My product' your camera Model No. should already be displayed. Click the 'select' link next to that field twice and you should then see your model in the scrolling list and be able to click thru to the next page using the Next>> link.

If you still have problems, let me know and I'll find you another link to follow.

Cheers

Mick

gazz1e
Visitor

Conterfit memory cards is quite common these days. I bought a 32GB microSD card from an Amazon 3rd party seller. After running a diagnostic tool, the memory card was 2GB, which had been modified to appear as 32GB when inserted into a computer.

Due to this, I only ever buy memory cards from retailers that I know and trust. They may cost a bit more, but it's worth it in the long run.