Join now - be part of our community!

DSC RX 100 Lens Not Closing Turn Off Power Then On Again For No Reason No Miss Handling

profile.country.GB.title
OldGreyHairUK
New

DSC RX 100 Lens Not Closing Turn Off Power Then On Again For No Reason No Miss Handling

DSC-RX100 error message: TURN POWER OFF THEN ON.

Hello 

I've got the message: TURN POWER OFF THEN ON on the screen of my powershot DSC-RX100. 

So far I have tried:

Turning power off (waiting 1 minute) and turning power on.

Changing SD cards over.

Taking battery out (waiting 1 minute before replacing).

Has Latest Firmware.

All to no avail. The camera is useless as I can't take any photos or look at anything on the SD card or any of the menu settings. The lens seems to not close properly either when switching off.

Now no lens movement at all.

Can anyone help?

Much appreciated as this was a gift from 2 years ago my partner thinks this Sony Camera is a substandard product as the seems to be others with the same problem on the internet  

Thank you in anticipation.

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hello @OldGreyHairUK,

did you take out the battery while the camera was running (if not try that as well).

- Nic

profile.country.GB.title
OldGreyHairUK
New

Thank you @IamNic for your help

Yes tried that still no movement. Error message on screen Turn Off Power Then On Again.

Must be a common problem from all the Internet posts etc, Flawed design. Only occasional use over 2 years just stop working. Not the sort of quality you would expect from Sony will make sure not to buy any Sony products in future. Very expensive mistake to buy the camera.

profile.country.GB.title
OldGreyHairUK
New

Any Sony people give support on here or have Sony no interest in their customers?

£500 camera dead after 2 years not very good not a good return on the investmant.

profile.country.GB.title
DJShax
Explorer

Hi @IamNic Nic

I know this post didn't help the original poster and I hope he got his problem sorting out ok but it did help me.

I have an RX100 mk iv and suddenly, for no reason, I've never mishandled or dropped it, the lens fluttered on opening and then wouldn't operate at all. I kept getting the "Turn off and on again" command. I tried everything and was literally just about to send it off to the centre when I read your post about taking the battery out when the cam was on and it worked.

So thank you very much. You just saved me 100 odd quid or whatever it is now.

Best wishes

David Shackle