Join now - be part of our community!

DSC RX100 failure

paynedave
New

DSC RX100 failure

My camera had an intermittent fault which caused the screen image to break up and the camera to fail to close when switched off. it could be restored by applying pressure to the rubber pad in the top right hand corner, at the back. That solution no longer works.

I am hoping that the symptoms I have described could lead someone with wide experience of the RX100 to have a pretty good idea of what the problem is. I can then go about doing a repair job.

i have already removed the back cover to see how difficult that might be, and it was not too daunting. Does anyone have any suggestions? It clearly is not an option to return the camera to Sony for repair, for reason of cost.

Thanks, in advance.

2 REPLIES 2
SashasPa
New

I have had my DSCRX100M7 less than 12 month. The experience started badly with the post-Christmas sale cashback not being honored (Separate argument). Cost without the cashback close to $1600.

The eye view finder became intermittent but as I rarely used the function, I persisted.

Then during a trip to Lady Elliot Island, the camera reported a E91  (flash fault). Shortly after the main viewfinder screen stopped.

After trawling through the warranty mire, I was referred to a local camera repair who has been good except their report is the camera has been exposed to moisture and the electronics are so corroded as to be beyond economic repair (not to mention not under warranty).

There is no comment in the user manual on a susceptibility to moisture. Only comment in manual is withregard to condensation (lens I assume). I would have expected that if the camera would have been at least splash proof.  After all it is not bottom of the range. 

In reflection, with all the popups (flash, eye viewfinder, and fold out viewfinder) there are lots of places that are not sealed. Electronics could be conformal coated to prevent corrosion in our climate.

Needless to say, I am not impressed. Looks like my last Sony camera. Sad after 20 years of loyalty.

profile.country.GB.title
danardeng
Contributor

No, RX100 is not water resistant 😞

It fears humidity

https://helpguide.sony.net/dsc/1920/v1/en/contents/TP0002053558.html

I am very sorry for your misadventure with the RX100, it is a camera that I have always admired.

Contact with moisture is a major warranty invalidation factor for many electronic products. We have to be careful.