Join now - be part of our community!

DSC-WX300 Wi-Fi

SOLVED
MikesBMW7
Explorer

DSC-WX300 Wi-Fi

I just bought a DSC-WX300 and have read the downloaded manual but it doesn't say if the Wi-Fi is permanently on and draining the battery or how to switch it off.

I did go into the Wi-Fi menu option and it came up with some codes to enter into my smartphone but it wasn't helpful. Does this mean it is now switched on?

Also missing from the manual is a diagram of all the icons that can be displayed on the screen and what they refer to, like the Identifying parts page.

Any details on these questions would be great.

Tags (3)
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

Hi MikesBMW7 and welcome to the Community :slight_smile:

Have you checked all four manuals here?

(select English)

I haven't scanned them all but saw info regarding menu items generally and menu items available for shooting etc.

in the i-manual here

View solution in original post

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi MikesBMW7,

welcome to the Sony User Community Forum..

as far as I am aware enabling Airplane mode is the only user option available to switch of wifi..

Open Menu, then scroll down to Settings (tool box icon) & press the inner button to select..

Then scroll to Main Settings (spanner icon) press the inner button to select..

You should then see Airplane mode press the inner button to select..

The selct Off..

Hope that helps..

As to the Icons, as Jumpsuit correctly mentioned, there is a brief description of what icons can be displayed on your screen in the manual..

Open the iManual then click on Before Use, then click on List of icons displayed on the screen..

Further information on what some of these different sections icons mean can be found further in the manual, for example, the different icons for Picture Effect can be found by browsing to Useful shooting functions then below  Functions available for each shooting mode click on Functions available for each shooting mode..

You may need to search around the manual to idetify others but if there is anything that you can't locate information on let us know & hopefully one of us will be able to help you further..:smileyhappy:

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

Hi MikesBMW7 and welcome to the Community :slight_smile:

Have you checked all four manuals here?

(select English)

I haven't scanned them all but saw info regarding menu items generally and menu items available for shooting etc.

in the i-manual here

MikesBMW7
Explorer

Thanks Jumpsuit.

I did look at all 4 manuals but they have just the same English info in them, I had downloaded just the English manual anyway. The i-manual is just a HTML version of the English manual.

In the troubleshooting section it does have a Wi-Fi two lines of help which actually wasn't very helpful.

There isn't anything about the icons that can appear on the screen although those that do are pretty obvious.

It's annoying that when you switch the camera on the Wi-Fi must become active and searches for a connection therefore using battery power.

Sony need to look at this problem, so if they want to fly me out to Japan to advise them........:smileywink:

profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

Hi again

I still can't find any info on whether the wifi is permanently switched on.

Certain user review comments on Amazon may suggest that it is not permanently on, but again thats not a definate answer either I'm afraid.

I did watch a video regarding the WX300 wifi on Youtube however there is no sound and it appears to have Korean  subtitles lol.

Hopefully another member may have a more definate answer for you.

Come on peeps - chip in.

MikesBMW7
Explorer

Thanks Jumpsuit,

I guess I will have to live with it until Sony can update the manual with a bit more detail.

profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

Hi again :slight_smile:

Yeah, again hopefully another more camera-focused (excuse the pun) expert may be able to chip in with some info.

In the meantime how are the shots from that camera? Everything ok apart from the wi-fi aspect?

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi MikesBMW7,

welcome to the Sony User Community Forum..

as far as I am aware enabling Airplane mode is the only user option available to switch of wifi..

Open Menu, then scroll down to Settings (tool box icon) & press the inner button to select..

Then scroll to Main Settings (spanner icon) press the inner button to select..

You should then see Airplane mode press the inner button to select..

The selct Off..

Hope that helps..

As to the Icons, as Jumpsuit correctly mentioned, there is a brief description of what icons can be displayed on your screen in the manual..

Open the iManual then click on Before Use, then click on List of icons displayed on the screen..

Further information on what some of these different sections icons mean can be found further in the manual, for example, the different icons for Picture Effect can be found by browsing to Useful shooting functions then below  Functions available for each shooting mode click on Functions available for each shooting mode..

You may need to search around the manual to idetify others but if there is anything that you can't locate information on let us know & hopefully one of us will be able to help you further..:smileyhappy:

MikesBMW7
Explorer

Hi Jumpsuit,

The photo quality so far has been excellent at 18 MP it is a noticable difference from my old 12 MP Samsung L301.

The 20x optical zoom in such a small camera is amazing and which is so much lighter and less bulkier than my Nikon D3100.

I've yet to compare various same shots in different conditions with both the WX300 and my D3100 to see which gives the better definition/colour/sharpness etc. The Nikon DX 18-135 lens might win out on this.

The smallness of the WX300 to carry in your pocket is so helpful being just a casual amateur snap shooter. The interesting building or tree or view etc.

MikesBMW7
Explorer

Hi Thalamus,

Wow you really are on the ball, well done.

You have pointed me in the right direction for all the info I needed.

And I thought I was being clever pointing out a glitch.

That is very good information in the imanual I thought it was just an HTML version of the English manual (didn't read properly, hangs head in shame:smileyexclaim:).

My excuse was I wanted to go out and use the camera as soon as I bought it, excited by new toy.:smileyyahoo:

Thanks for that, I'll now plow my way through the imanual.

Jumpsuit did point to the imanual in his first post but I didn't explore it enough, my apologies to Jumpsuit :thumbsup: