Join now - be part of our community!

GPSS Assist Data for an Apple Mac

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
Stevekir
Visitor

GPSS Assist Data for an Apple Mac

I have a new HX9v cybershot. The software that came with the camera is for Windows only.How can I download GPS Assist Data please?

(I have tried https://code.google.com/p/gpsassist-update/ but it doesnt't work.

I am on OS 10.7.1 ("Lion") and can use (SnowLeopard", OS 10.6.something)

Tags (2)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Stevekir
Visitor

Re: Sony say "No GPS Assist available for the Mac".: Sony Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

This link in dpreview solved the problem. It works. Sony said that it will not work on a Mac. Sony is wrong!

Message was edited by: Stevekir

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Stevekir
Visitor

Anyone out there?

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Turn the camera on and connect the camera to your Mac direct using the built in USB plug and choose to do something like 'Open Folder to View Files'.

The GPS assist data can be updated by selecting [PMBP_Mac] in the PMBPORTABLE folder to start PMB Portable for Mac.

:wink:

Stevekir
Visitor

Thanks, but I don't understand. I have connected the camera to my iMac with the USB cable, switched the camera on and I get "USB Mode, Mass Storage, Memory Card + Internal Memory, Plays by pressing the "Playback" button". All that pressing the Playback Button does is to allow me to view the last shot (and only that), plus various options like "Group burst images", "Retouch" etc. There is nowhere to choose "Open Folder to View Files" or anything like it. How do I get to that please?.

So, could you give more steps to follow to get there please?

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Unfortunately, I do not have the same camera or a Mac.

The theory is that you must open PMB Portable on the camera.  There should be the option to open the file for Windows or for Mac depending on your PC.  If nobody else here can help, you may have to phone Sony Support or speak to your local retailer.

However, I have found this link for an older, but similar, camera: -

http://blog.brixandersen.dk/?p=153

:thinking:

Stevekir
Visitor

Thanks, but no luck. The screen on my camera under GPS Assist remains: "GPS assist data", "Invalid", "Expire date ---- -- --   -  ---- -- --". I will ring Sony in the morning and report back.

Stevekir
Visitor

Re: Sony say "No GPS Assist available for the Mac".: Sony Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

This link in dpreview solved the problem. It works. Sony said that it will not work on a Mac. Sony is wrong!