Join now - be part of our community!

High-quality HDMI output on ZV-1

profile.country.GB.title
klklkl1
New

High-quality HDMI output on ZV-1

Has anyone managed to get a good, low-latency HDMI output from Sony ZV-1?

I'm trying to get a real-time video out of ZV-1. I'm using micro-HDMI to HDMI cable, but the camera seems to output at most 1080p at 30fps, and the video feed appears to have 150ms latency. HDMI output looks significantly worse that the preview on camera's screen.

I get 1080p@30Hz HDMI output even when the camera is connected directly to a 4K@60Hz monitor, and even when it's recording in 4K. I've tried with different monitors and HDMI capture devices, and the problem appears to be squarely on Sony's side.

Am I missing something? How can a "vlog" camera has such an awful output? Is there some setting for HDMI output fps and resolution?

6 REPLIES 6
profile.country.GB.title
EdwinaU

Hi there,

Welcome to the community. There is some information about 4k and HDMI output in the ZV-1 help guide here and here.

We hope this is useful for you.

Best wishes,

Ed

profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hello @klklkl1,

I have not experienced such a high latency when I had a test-unit here.

I will summon @r_a_n_i - he has the camera as well and can hopefully share his experience with the latency of the HDMI output.

As @EdwinaU already linked you can increase the output resolution of the HDMI-output (as long as you have the right cable).

Which type of monitor are you using? Even some modern monitors do perform post processing on the video signal which causes additional latency - have you checked whether or not your screen has a "gaming" mode?

- Nic

profile.country.GB.title
klklkl1
New

I've tried with Samsung U28D590 and BenQ PD2700U, which are both 60Hz displays. They don't have any picture post-processing that would add latency. The delay and framerate of ZV-1 is visibly awful on both monitors.

I've also recorded the HDMI output and analyzed the frames. Some frames are duplicate - it looks like the camera is trying to send 25fps over 30Hz signal. That adds to the choppiness of the video. And 25fps is a far cry from 60fps it should be able to easily achieve, if not more.

profile.country.GB.title
klklkl1
New

The "MENU → (Setup) → [HDMI Settings][24p/60p Output]" option does not exist on my camera. I've checked everywhere, and it's just not there. I have firmware version 1.00.

I have the HDMI Resolution option, and the next after that is HDMI Info. Display. I've checked all other settings pages and can't see the fps option anywhere.

I can set moive recording to higher fps, and it does record movies in high fps to the SD card, with nice smooth preview on the built-in monitor, but the HDMI output stays low-quality even during recording.

profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hello @klklkl1,

@klklkl1  schrieb:

And 25fps is a far cry from 60fps it should be able to easily achieve, if not more.

from your "flag-icon" i reckon that you live in the UK where the power grid frequency is 50Hz. Setting the camera to NTSC (which you need to do to enable 30fps (4K) or 60fps (1080p) is not desirable, since it causes certain effects with artificial lighting.

If you choose to do so, you are free to set the camera to NTSC though.

https://helpguide.sony.net/dc/1910/v1/en/contents/TP0002847077.html?search=NTSC

Then the camera should output 24/30 fps (depending on what you set the camera to) in 4K and 30/60fps (depending on what you set the camera to) in 1080p.

- Nic

end3va
Explorer

Guys, what is the cable you refer too for 4K output?  I am also experiencing latency.