Join now - be part of our community!

HX1 Microphone too sensitive

profile.country.en_GB.title
cutemeerkat
Visitor

HX1 Microphone too sensitive

Hi I was wondering if anyone knew if it is possible to change the sensitivity of the microphone within the HX1. My last Sony camera (DSC-H10) was great at filming loud concerts and could cope with any loud bass, but my HX1 just loses it and goes crackly sounding, really disappointed when it's such a good upgrade on zoom and picture quality!

Tags (1)
2 REPLIES 2
StartTheCar
Contributor

hi cutemeerkat

I have just had a play with the HX1 and I cannot see anything within the settings to do with the microphone. 

As a practical solution, you could try and muffle the microphone with foam or similar material you find on other microphones.  I have no idea how you would attach it, but it may be enough to stop the mic from being overwhelmed in the environment of a live concert.

Best regards
Lee

Capt.Aero
Visitor

I don't know any way to lower the audio uptake level, but a related issue is the bad wind noise the HX1 suffers from having its mikes located on top. I solved most of this problem by cutting a piece of black fur from a stuffed poodle I got at a 2nd-hand store. I fastened it by putting some shoe goo or plumber's goop around the edges and carefully fitting it over the mikes, not getting any into the mike holes. The longer and fluffier the fur, the better. Photo attached.

Steve McDonald