Join now - be part of our community!

Sony HX9V - Consumer compact camera of the year???

profile.country.GB.title
kenneve
New

Sony HX9V - Consumer compact camera of the year???

In the Amateur Photographer Magazine dated 25th Feb 2012, the AP2012 Awards have voted the HX9V as Comsumer Compact Camera of the Year.

I find this most strange, particularly in the light of all the posts on this and other forums, relating to issues with compression, noise reduction, lack of RAW etc.

Whilst there is no doubt that this camera has a wide range of facilities and features. Is it really the best comsumer compact available this year?

I note that the other contenders were Canon SX230HX, Panasonic DMC-TZ20 and the Samsung WB700.

Perhaps other members may like to comment?

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.en_GB.title
twdavies
Visitor

I also have read the various reviews which I find are all a little misleading. Am I right in thinking that you consider the Canon and panasonic to be better cameras then? I realise that you answered my question recently on the image size in the LCD screen of the HX9, but for a lay person like me it is very difficult to choose the best camera.

profile.country.GB.title
kenneve
New

No. I've owned a HX9V for about 6 months now, and this sits alongside my old NIKON D50 dslr, which of course is only 6Mp.

When comparing the photos between the 2 cameras up to A4 size, there is very little to choose. In some respects the Nikon is better, in others it's the Sony.

I suppose the fact that I tend to use the Sony nowadays, more than the Nikon, rather answers the question.

If you are into video then the Sony is far better than the other three listed in the report, not least because it's the only one of the group to offer 50fps, all the others are circa 30fps and the difference shows, particularly in moving subjects.

It would be nice if the shortcomings mentioned in the other posts were addressed, but I don't really regret buying the camera.

profile.country.en_GB.title
Mick2011
New

It's been a bit of a victim of its own success, really. Being very good at so many things has left more 'serious' shooters lamenting the lack of extended manual controls, exposure modes, RAW capability etc that come as standard on more 'serious' cameras, and that would have made it a serious challenger to them.

That's the point, really: the HX9V is a consumer compact. It's aimed at ease-of-use and simplified processing, which explains its lack of settings for noise reduction and file compression. The thinking, I guess, is if you're likely to want to tweak these things you need to be looking at a 'prosumer' model, something like a NEX-3 at a minimum.

Most camera choices come down to the user, not the camera. What do you want to use it for? How techinally-minded are you? Are you a hobbyist or just an occasional snapper? If you only want to get the best quality shots with the minimum of fuss, a quality consumer compact like the HX9V would be a good choice.

Whether you choose that or its Panasonic etc rivals is also all about the user, who need do nothing more than get down to their local camera store and try them out :cool:

Cheers

Mick