Join now - be part of our community!

Timelapse in RX1

profile.country.NO.title
photosonic
Enthusiast

Timelapse in RX1

Hello!

Is there any possibility that SONY will implement timelapse in RX1 in a new firmware ?

I had that feature in my old camera (Canon G9) and i would like to have it in the RX1 as well

6 REPLIES 6
profile.country.en_GB.title
blaireau_photo
Visitor

Hello photosonic - Welcome to the Sony Forums :slight_smile:

It is very difficult to predict firmware updates for any Sony camera. As with most major electronics manufacturers, there is always going to be more of an emphasis on developing new models as opposed to extra features for existing ones. Often, you will find that firmware updates are released to rectify flaws in a product.

Having said all of this, it would be nice to be proved wrong and if a firmware update is released in the future, it will be announced on the official support page for the RX1 which can be found at:

http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/product/DSC-RX1/updates

Thanks,

Simon

profile.country.NO.title
photosonic
Enthusiast

Thank you Simon!

I guess i have to wait/hope for an update on the timelapse matter.

I recently discovered some spectacular videos on You tube.

It was both slowmo videos and videos with timelapse sequences.

The guy that made theese is  darwinfish105 , he has a blog :darwinfish105.blogspot.com

I would like to find out how he made theese videos with the RX1,but the blog is in Japanese only,

and that is a language that i do not understand

Message was edited by: photosonic

profile.country.en_GB.title
Mick2011
New

As there's no interval timer on the NEX range I'm not sure this would ever be available to the RX1, but we can always hope :wink:

The best way to get automated timelapse to work would be using an accessory interval timer. The RX1 has no IR sensor for remote trigger but it does have the incredibly versatile Multi Interface Shoe. There may be an interval timer that will fit this, although I confess I wasn't able to find one in a quick Google search.

Another very useful addition on the RX1 is a threaded cable release. Back in the days of film SLRs, this was the simplest way of shooting timelapse, with a manual release every second or so. Certainly worth checking out.

I had a look at the Japanese site you mentioned and it seems he used the cable release with continuous shooting mode: see this post – I hope the Google-translated link works for you.

Cheers

Mick

profile.country.NO.title
photosonic
Enthusiast

Hi Mick!

It is possible to download timelapse app`s and other app`s to the latest NEX 5 version and the NEX 6.

SONY - PlayMemories Camera Apps is the name of the site. There are both free app`s and app`s that one can buy.

The possibility of having an interval timer that would fit in the Multi Interface Shoe would be perfect,sadly it is not made yet, neither by SONY nor by third party producers.

After all it is suitable for the elctronic viewfinder that I  allready have ordered.

The same thing with the thumb grip - why make it in a "cold-shoe" version that is useless together with flash and the Electronic viewfinder instead of a hot-shoe version that would be much more useful.

Thanks for the google link by the way.

profile.country.de_DE.title
cmosse
Contributor

As the RX1 does not support any kind of the conventional remote (infrared or cable) there is no easy solution for this.....

I found one special device which could be used so that even RX1 can take interval images:

Google for:

"Tempus All" which is in fact a mechanical time lapse "robotic finger"

Best Regards

Michael

profile.country.NO.title
photosonic
Enthusiast

Hi Michael!

Maybe there are timelapse/remotes that can fit in the cable release mount in the shutter release.

I think that will function better than a "robotic finger" I have not seen such a solution yet.

Thank you for the link.

By the way, i have received the Electronical Viewfider (FDA-EV1MK) for the RX1.

It is amazingly good ,now it is much easier to take pictures in bright daylight/sunshine.