Join now - be part of our community!

which memory card for DSC W830

profile.country.GB.title
metoo68
Explorer

which memory card for DSC W830

Is it possible to use any memory card or are there  problems with cheaper cards like this one? And if so what are they?  https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kingston-Technology-SDC4-32GB-microSDHC/dp/B0046XAROG/ref=sr_1_19?keywords=... one 

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.GB.title
Mick_D

Hi @metoo68, welcome to the Community.

There are serious problems with cheaper cards, and unfortunately it's often difficult to tell if a cheap one will work until you try one and it either fails to work at all, is too slow, or (worst of all) works and then fails, losing all your image files. 

The Class 4 one you link to may well prove to be too slow, for example. Class 10 is the minimum (High Speed, 80MB/s) I would use for your camera. For shooting HD movies you may have buffer issues if your card is slower than 80MB/s, and 100MB/s is recommended for 4K.

Of the high speed cards, I would suggest you always buy a 'known good' brand, for reliability purposes. Kingston are good, as are others including Sony. Prices these days are pretty reasonable, so no need to compromise with cheaper makes.

Don't be tempted to go for a £2 'bargain' branded card, which could well turn out to be a forgery. Fake cards are less of a problem than they used to be, but I would always buy from a reputable retailer (Amazon is not a retailer, in this sense, as they use 3rd party vendors) and pay the going rate.

Hope that helps!

Mick

profile.country.GB.title
metoo68
Explorer

thanks Mick that was very helpful