Join now - be part of our community!

Would you buy another Cybershot?

profile.country.en_GB.title
gazz1e
Visitor

Would you buy another Cybershot?

It's been a while since I last visited this forum. It's sad to see that after months of users being unhappy about the firmware in the current batch of Cybershots (such as setting the level of compression, or lack of RAW), that Sony haven't addressed the issue. I expect they're not going to address the issue, and expect us to buy new hardware with the improved firmware.

I must admit my Cybershot HX7V has been sat in the back of the cupboard for a few months now. I find my iPhone 4s adequate for capturing adhoc photos and videos. To be brutely honest, I find see less compression artifacts on my iPhone photos that my Cybershot photos.

Based on your experience with Sony's Cybershot cameras, would you buy another Cybershot? I'm happy using my mobile, and if I had to buy another camera, I'd go with a company that invests in development of existing hardware, rather than expect users to buy a new camera for features that could easily be fixed in the firmware.

...expecting this post to get deleted by the moderators...

16 REPLIES 16
badgerme
Visitor

The N8 looks like another nice phone (pity it's not Android - I might even get one if it was)

i don't think that anyone disagrees that control over the HX9V's compression level would be useful, but to me there's no comparison between any phone that I've seen and a half way decent compact camera.

Your N8 does not shoot full HD video - only 720 not 1080

No optical zoom, etc

But, for a phone, it seems to be a decent bit of kit

profile.country.ro_RO.title
nostriel
Visitor

I will not buy any Sony product EVER. The HX9V was the greatest scam they ever released with their 2Mb for 16 Mpixel compresion. All reviews omited this, and I thought to give it a try. But even my old 6Mp S3IS Cannon makes bigger files than this camera and, of couse better photos.

The fact that a software limitation destroys the camera quality is the biggest proof of their hunger for money, and that they do not inovate anymore as they did, but just make magicians lousy tricks.

badgerme
Visitor

Hello Nostriel,

I've got a Canon S3IS as well but I'm puzzled!

jpeg files do vary in size depending on the content of the image of course, but  my experience is the reverse of yours regarding file size with the Canon giving mainly files around 2Mb and the Sony more around 4Mb.

But is size everything?

From reading reviews before my purchase, I was aware of what many refer to as the Sony's 'oil painting effect' image quality - this due to high levels of noise reduction in camera. This is non-adjustable - a software limitation that could be addressed by a firmware update.

My point is that this camera performs just as I expected from reading on line reviews, for example in their review http://www.imaging-resource.com the list of 'cons' begins:

Heavy noise suppression gives images a watercolor look

Very little fine detail above ISO 800

No control over NR levels

For my useage this camera is good - but I am only looking at pics on a computer or HDTV plus occasional prints up to around 10x12"

kmc2704
Visitor

THIS IS AN OPEN FORUM WHERE ALL COMMENTS SHOULD BE WELCOME AND NOT SELECTIVELY DELETED ....the only language Sony understands is the colour of OUR money. The answer is simple....do not make further purchases of Sony product ...they have lost me as a consumer, BIG time .

kmc2704
Visitor

DONT BUY SONY PRODUCTS.....SONY ARE HAPPY TO GRAB UR MONEY ...I FEEL SO CHEATED OUT OF MY MONEY AS THE HX9V DOES NOT EVEN GIVE SATISFYING STILLS...AFTER ALL IT IS SUPPOSED TO BE A COMPACT CAMERA YET IT CANT TAKE DECENT PICTURES....WASTE OF TIME AS ARE SONY SUPPORT...USELESS & POINTLESS !!

WILL NEVER EVER BUY A SONY PRODUCT EVER AGAIN !!

profile.country.es_ES.title
yolitatx
Visitor

Yes, I would buy a new cybershot.  I have had one for years and it's still working beautifully.  The only problem I have is that I lost the manual and now I don't know how to delete the pictures from the memory sticks.  Now I have about 4 memory sticks full of pictures that I have already transferred to my computer and don't need these pics to be in two places... and I don't want to keep on buying memory sticks when I can re-use them.

YolitaTX

gazz1e wrote:

It's been a while since I last visited this forum. It's sad to see that after months of users being unhappy about the firmware in the current batch of Cybershots (such as setting the level of compression, or lack of RAW), that Sony haven't addressed the issue. I expect they're not going to address the issue, and expect us to buy new hardware with the improved firmware.

I must admit my Cybershot HX7V has been sat in the back of the cupboard for a few months now. I find my iPhone 4s adequate for capturing adhoc photos and videos. To be brutely honest, I find see less compression artifacts on my iPhone photos that my Cybershot photos.

Based on your experience with Sony's Cybershot cameras, would you buy another Cybershot? I'm happy using my mobile, and if I had to buy another camera, I'd go with a company that invests in development of existing hardware, rather than expect users to buy a new camera for features that could easily be fixed in the firmware.

...expecting this post to get deleted by the moderators...

blaireau_photo
Visitor

Hi yolitaTX - Welcome to the Sony Forums :slight_smile:

If you take a look at the thread you created about this issue, I have left a reply there about deleting all of the images from your memory cards.

Thanks,

Simon