Join now - be part of our community!

ZV-1 Strange Shutter Noise

profile.country.GB.title
Photo19
Explorer

ZV-1 Strange Shutter Noise

I'd appreciate some advice about my brand new ZV-1 please. There's a strange metallic/vibration-like ping noise immediately after I press the shutter to take a shot. I've owned countless cameras over the years, including several with leaf shutters, and I haven't heard this before.

It isn't loud, but it is audible to me in a quiet room at normal hand holding distance. Putting my ear close to the camera and the noise is very distinct.

I'd be very grateful if ZV-1 owners could listen closely to their camera and report back. 

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

Hi @Photo19  and welcome to the UK Community :slight_smile:

I've just tested my Son's ZV-1 but I didn't hear anything like you described. 

The only noise made after pressing the shutter was the electronic shutter sound and there was

no noise after I turned that off.

Have you tried silent shooting mode to see if that's any better/worse?

profile.country.GB.title
Photo19
Explorer

Hi, many thanks for the reply.

There are no odd noises when using the electronic shutter. The noise occurs when the leaf shutter is in operation, it’s a ‘ping’ sound at the same time as the normal shutter sound. I have quite sensitive hearing so I can hear it in a quiet room, but others may need to hold their ear next to their camera - at which point it’s quite distinct.

I think leaf shutters do contain a spring, but none of the other leaf shutter cameras I’ve owned over the years (including two RX100 models) have made this sound. I'm curious as to whether it's a fault, before I raise a return for the camera.